Horn button retainer. Repros good or junk?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Horn button retainer. Repros good or junk?

Post by charliemccraney »

I thought I read somewhere that the repros are junk but I can't find it.

This is the part I'm talking about. http://dennis-carpenter.com/horn-button-index/p/C2DZ-13A809-A/

So are they good or bad?
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Horn button retainer. Repros good or junk?

Post by bobenhotep »

I got mine from them and it is still good a few years later. If you order one get some new horn brushes while you are at it.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Shadow

Post by Shadow »

The Repro's Aren't Too Bad. I Think I Have An Original Laying Around If You Need One. The Horn "Contact-Brushes" That Dennis Sells Are Junk. The One I Got Actually Turned To Dust When I Tried To Apply The Horn. :lol: He Sent Me Replacement And It Did The Same Thing! If You Can Find A Old Stock FoMoCo On Ebay Or From A Member I Strongly Recommend Going That Route...
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

if Tom at flashback sells it ill buy from him.

they are pretty simple to make

piece of braided wire taken from ,say, old generator brushes. i converted to alternator a while ago but i think i have some spare brushes left
couple copper or brass ends
tiny spring
solder

when you have installed a true made in USA part on your truck

btw the 4x4s and the f350s etc use a different sie so if your hunting ebay read the description and carefully check the pics and get the right part
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

A twenty two casing and a little file work and a ball point pen spring works. You have to file off the ridge on the shell casing and possibly shorten the spring. Been awhile since I did one of these. Just how often do you use the horn anyway?

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

There are some of the things I need on eBay, supposedly NOS, but more than 3 times the cost of repro. No problem paying that if repro is junk but can't justify that if repro is good.

Regarding the horn mine hasn't worked since I've owned the truck. Even so, I'm not one of those people who lays on the horn. In my car, by the time I find the button, whatever I wanted to honk about is gone.
Something did happen with my brush but I don't recall what exactly. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I've got a whole box of those horn retainers that I found at a mechanic's auction and I've been storing them for about 6 or 7 years. If they haven't crumbled to dust by now they might be decent. I have a few white plastic ones in blister packages (manufacturer is Shee-Mar) but most of them are made of black plastic and are loose in a box. I'd have to check if there's any manufacturer info on the box but I'm pretty sure they're aftermarket as well.