64 the adventure begins

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 litl un

64 the adventure begins

Post by 64 litl un »

The 64 has been moved out of it's last resting place and now it's staging in the front yard awaiting a trip to the my parents barn. The barn has been the building area for Brown brother's projects since we were kids.....so this is big, at least for the 64. This time it's going to be my son and I.

I did another quick inspection to the truck and I have some good news!!! The cab mounts are in great shape! :D Unfortunately, that's about it. :(

Really it's a good old truck and it has it where it counts but she is rough. Image

I'm going to take a simple approach, clean it up, fix or replace whats broken and make it as pretty as we can.

I have some simple questions. has anyone put a 240/300 in one of these earlier trucks. I have a 65-66 240 complete with transmission.
I know the big block crossmember can be used for these. Will the Z bar for a 65 work? Will the clutch/z bar mounting pivot ball match the 240 like it did the 223 as far as engine location?

Are there any replacement panels for the bottom rear of the flareside fenders? The fenders are solid up top but the bottoms behind the rear wheels are pretty much history. I hate to scrap em or bob em as that's the only area that needs repair. Have any of you rebuilt the rear fenders in that area?
I can drive it home with one headlight.
LM14
United States of America

Re: 64 the adventure begins

Post by LM14 »

Remember to do a build thread in the "Projects and Builds" section. We like pictures!

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
sgettin

Post by sgettin »

I don't think a repair panel is produced for the rear of the rear fender (there is a patch panel for the front). Also I remember seeing a repoped lower flat panel for the bed side infront of and behind the fenders but can't recall who produces it, I think it was for a short bed?. It may have been these guys: https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/B ... 860-1.html

And like Steve said make sure ya post up a build thread.

Good luck.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Following....and we do like pics. Good luck with your build.
1964 F-100
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Glad to see its back to being worked on. father son projects last forever in your hearts!
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I put a 300 and a 3 speed in my 63. I used a crossmember for an FE engine and the engine mounts for an early 70s 300. I set the crossmember on 3 inch blocks so that the front pulley would not hit the crossmember. The trans crossmember is made out of channel. The z bar will work, but it will be at an angle. I have not had problems with it yet. I had to make a throttle linkage. That is about all I can think of right now.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.