Front leaf spring question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Fanatic

Front leaf spring question

Post by Fanatic »

I am looking for a bumper to ground measurement. 1963 Uni. My front springs are shot and I need to replace them. Stock, multi-leaf, reverse eyes, Mono, what are you guys running? I like my lowered stance, so I'm trying to find out what to get. Monos seem the best choice since I already get an inch of lowering just because of the single spring, but hate to order the wrong ones.

Thx, Tim
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Truckrat
United States of America

Re: Front leaf spring question

Post by Truckrat »

Tim you can get springs from a lot of places that will drop your truck several inches
front and rear. The Monos are one choice, but there are others. Performance Online has
a spring and shock kit that is a direct bolt on with multileaf springs. You can specify what
drop you want. Stock to 2.5 inch drop in front and stock to a 3 - 5 inch drop in back.
One thing though. They will run you close to $950 for the whole thing, but it is a bolt on.
Don't know your budget, but Monos will be between $700 - 800 and that's not including
shocks. Just my :2cents: brother, but seems like an easy way to get it done. TR
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Gary, thats just it.......what is stock? I have worn out springs now and would like to have it set close to where it is. My present springs are starting to arch the wrong way! So, I know that I'll need some reversed eyes plus some to keep it down. I'm really thinkin' reversed eye mono to do what I need. That's why I was hoping for some measurements. Thanx.
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Tim, stock ride height is usually several inches of wheelwell clearance above the
top of the tire.

I am thinking what you want is more like this....

Am I right? TR
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

That would be correct Gary ---or an inch or so higher. I know someone on here is running monos up front !
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I do too Tim. I have never run them, only heard some people did.
Some liked them, some not so much. I was looking at multi-leafs for
the softer ride. It is too bad Posies isn't offering their springs in a 2 inch
wide version for the 57-64 trucks. They come with the sliders between
each leaf and are known to be set up to lower trucks 3'' in front and 4-5''
in back. So far they only go up to 56 Fords and 59 Chevys. 48-56 Fords
are a 1&3/4 inch spring. No help for Fridges and Slicks as of yet from them.
But if enough people ask maybe they would. I reversed the main leafs on my
57 Ford and am rebuilding the spring stacks with sliders and new clamps I
made myself. When I get back from Pate I will put them together and install
them on my truck, Also had Sid put new King pins and bushings in my axle.
Should steer and drive great. If you want to go monos then you can get 3'' of
drop in the front and 4 or 5 inches in the rear. But remember you may need to
change to shorter shocks because of the different ride height. I have to find
some 2 inch shorter shocks for mine, but mine were shot anyway. TR
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Eaton-Detroit springs will build dropped springs for slicks. Talk with them.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
29rpu

Post by 29rpu »

I'm running mono's on myn. It dose make the ride siffer than my 66 3/4 ton. I like the it because I haul a lot of stuff with it and it handles a little better. Took the most of the sway out it with out the sway bar. It droped the front 3" with no blocks. And droped the rear 5 and has 2" blocks. leveled the truck out. I got super lucky when I got my monos I got it out of a pick a part near me with the lowering shocks, u joints, and new bushings all for $67 out the door. The truck was 59 f100 short bed project that was never finished. It still had the receipt for the kit and he spent $1200 for it.

This is befor I lowerd the truck

This is it when I got it done. I picked up the springs on saterday morning and that night the front was lowered and Sunday the rear was.

This is the reason I like the stiffer ride I got the bed and a bunch of other suff from a scrap yard in norther arizona and drove home to Phoenix the load was over 1300 lb and handeld fine down the hills.