Driver's door - hard to close

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gary Seymour
United States of America

Driver's door - hard to close

Post by Gary Seymour »

Anyone good at solving door problems? Before removing the door, I drilled two small holes through each hinge and door post to help line it up. I've installed a new seal from Steele Rubber. The alignment looks really good, considering the way these trucks seemed to have been slapped together, but this door doesn't want to close. The passenger side door is great, and the same routine was followed. I did have the body off the frame for quite a while.

I've moved the latch plate around some, but can't seem to get it any better.

When I can slam it shut it looks good, and doesn't fall when I open it. :cussing:
bird55
United States of America

Re: Driver's door - hard to close

Post by bird55 »

Hopefully you may have it aligned properly as you say. But because of the new seals it is tighter than before. Mine was at first. I used a generous coating of silicone lube on the seals and made sure it was worked into the rubber. Also outdoors in the sun will get things softened up a bit. Mine fits snug now, just like a new one. At first I could not get the door to close and catch.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

This is a common problem with anything other than DC door seals. I don't know anything about steele rubber, but if they are anything like LMC's which look fine, then there will be door closing troubles :cussing:
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

If was in fact the new door seals causing the problem, wouldn't one expect it to be causing the same problem on BOTH doors? (I know it did on a Camaro I worked on years ago, BNIB A&M Softseal weatherstrips)
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

There is some part of your door where the clearance is not sufficient to hold the compressed seal when shut. You can use pieces of paper between the frame and the door to determine where the problem is. I would not worry about the hinge side, it is probably on the lock side. Shut the door on the paper and see where it is tightest. This will identify where the problem is. Then you can pull the rubber at the point and shave it a little to gain some clearance. The other option is to try the Dennis Carpenter seals.
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

After leaving the door shut all week, I decided to work on it today. I took the striker plate off and simulated opening and closing on the door latch - everything seemed to work okay. I noted the placement of the plate with the door latch, and re-installed the plate. A little adjustment and all is well! It closes very well now! :clap: