non cab related column shift problems.......

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 litl un

non cab related column shift problems.......

Post by 64 litl un »

It's been over 35 years ago but my father replaced the column shifter with a floor shifter. I'm going to ask if he remembers the problem. I'm sure the truck at that time had no cab sag issues. That stuff the cab mounts, are still pretty solid now.

My question is what do I need to do to rebuild the column shift? I know I need a new lever, that's long since gone. I know old on old Chevys the levers would lock up at the bottom of the column requiring you to get out open the hood and work them free. Is it a simple matter of replacing bushings? Any help would be appreciated.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
bruceandersson

Re: non cab related column shift problems.......

Post by bruceandersson »

You'll at least need the shift level and pin, plus the shift rods from the column to the tranny. Hopefully the column is fine and wear in the rods form the column to the trans were the problem. I think most people moved the shifter just because it was cooler to have it on the floor. If your column has issues, this is a bigger problem. What year truck do you have? The 65 and 66 have a different column that the earlier ones. I'd suggest pulling the whole column and checking all the parts. This is fairly straight forward on the 65/66, but on the 64 and earlier, the column comes off with the steering box.
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

You will need to ID your truck as to the year.
If your truck has Twin I-beams in front, then it is a '65 or a '66.
If it has a single axle, then it is a '64 or earlier.
You can also post the VIN and we can decode it. Make sure the VIN matches the numbers on the frame. though. (Good time to make sure the title and frame VIN match too.)

In either case, once you know the year, contact Tom at Flashback F-100s. He can probably get you an entire steering column with all the accessories or just the needed parts to get your column shifter back.

http://www.flashbackf100s.com/
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

It's a 1964 built in Atlanta, Oct-Nov 1963....could have been Kansas City. SWB -F100 223 6cy 3 speed manual trans, 3.91 rear ratio Caribbean Turquoise flareside ....That's what I remember from decoding the VIN. The 223 has been gone, my 12 year old brother got it running and while driving it around the pasture....our conman neighbor conned it out of him for $25.00 and my brother pulled it for him. This was back in the late 80s....
Anyway all the linkage is still there. When my father did the conversion he left it all and wired it up out of the way. I'm going back with a 66 240/300. I was told it was a 300 but it has a single crank pulley so I suspect it may be a 240. The 1966 engine still has the transmission with all the linkage still attached. It looks like all I need is the shift lever and pin. I have a Z bar and trans mount off of a 65. Hopefully I can make this work fairly easy.
I can drive it home with one headlight.