Need help with 64 wiper switch wiring

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Holly100
United States of America

Need help with 64 wiper switch wiring

Post by Holly100 »

Here is a photo of my wiper switch. The jumper wire you see was my attempt to just shorten what had already been done (i thought) to allow the wipers to continue working. See, the red jumper wire, I believe, ran from the post (key on power) on the ignition switch to the same yellow wire it's attached to now but it was run all the way to just near the motor where the 4 wires plug in. I never actually say the red jumper wire clamped to the ignition switch because I pulled it loose by accident.

Can anyone help me wire this correctly for power? As you see, there is still an extra white wire that was not attached to anything and was cut short.

Wire colors from left to right -black, orange, yellow, white, white
64 litl un

Re: Need help with 64 wiper switch wiring

Post by 64 litl un »

OK.....per online schematic only one wire goes from the ignition switch to the wiper switch. This wire per that info is Green-Orange. Out of the wiper switch 3 wires go to the motor. Green....Red....Black. Keep in mind this is what I found online.
http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/interior-lighting-windshield-wiper-and-gauge-schematic-diagrams-of-1964-ford-b-f-and-t-series-trucks.jpg

Who knows what has been changed through the years. I recommend studying a proper schematic to get a base and then with the aid of a working test light try to trace circuits, find out what going is on and properly replace/repair. Hard to do because working under the dash is like standing on your head. Removal of the seat may or may not help. Same with the glove box and instrument panel.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

bear in mind there are single and 2 speed wipwr motors the switches are different

the switch in the pic above is a later switch with provision for windshield washer.
that is the white plastic piece with the tab to the left of your thumb
the switch post is reverse spring operated meaning you pull to activate the washer pump

i have bad eyesight and old glasses so i really cant tell much else from the pic
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

64 litl un wrote:OK.....per online schematic only one wire goes from the ignition switch to the wiper switch. This wire per that info is Green-Orange. Out of the wiper switch 3 wires go to the motor. Green....Red....Black. Keep in mind this is what I found online.
http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/interior-lighting-windshield-wiper-and-gauge-schematic-diagrams-of-1964-ford-b-f-and-t-series-trucks.jpg

Who knows what has been changed through the years. I recommend studying a proper schematic to get a base and then with the aid of a working test light try to trace circuits, find out what going is on and properly replace/repair. Hard to do because working under the dash is like standing on your head. Removal of the seat may or may not help. Same with the glove box and instrument panel.
yeah, I found that too. It didn't really help.
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

The part number on the switch is C3TB-17A553-C1
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

If I remember correctly, there is one lead that provides power to the switch, all others go to the wiper motor. I think the ground comes through the body metal. If you have a two speed set-up there should be three leads going to the motor. One for low speed, one for high speed and one that provides the power to park the wipers when shut off. I'd test the motor and make sure it works before taking too much time on the wiring. I'll see if I can dig up an original setup and take a pic tonight.
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

The wipers worked with a single speed before I started "cleaning up the wiring". The switch only has one position and the part number comes back in a Google search as a single speed switch. The red jumper wire you see was stretched all the way under the dash and hand twisted around a stripped section of the yellow wire you see. All I did was shorten the red wire and re-splice it back into the same wire. Now it no workie. I know this isn't the correct way to wire it so I'm looking for the right way. The diagram I found doesn't match the wire colors I have.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I did not get out to the shop yesterday, but you should have a direct wire that goes from the ignition on terminal to the wiper switch. It should not route anywhere else. I'll try again to dig out the setup and take a pic tonight.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Un-boogered harness. Note how short the red (lead for the ignition switch) is. The wiper switch is normally right to the right of the light switch. I think the white lead is for a ground.

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/bande ... sort=3&o=0
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

bruceandersson wrote:The wiper switch is normally right to the right of the light switch

ford reversed them in 65 to be to the right, before that they were left of the light switch
65 is also when the headlight switch was changed and the fusebox on the firewall added

problem is here that someone did a funky splice

so do you have a 2 speed motor that had a bad switch and the single speed switch was hacked in

i have several switches when i go out to the shop ill see what they are i know they made at least 3 different ones.
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

Wiper motor is dated June 1964 C4TF-17504 B
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

So I had an "ah ha" moment. I grounded the extra white wire and now the wipers work! The switch is only a single speed switch. I still don't understand why there is no dedicated power wire.
X-wind
Canada

Post by X-wind »

Hey all,

Instead of starting a new theard I thought I'd bring back a different one on the same subject. Maybe that's annoying. Atleast I searched for my answer before posting though.

My wipers on my 1963 quit working. It's a single speed electric system. I did the test to the plug that goes to the wiper motor & it failed - which is goos news as I hope the motor is fine.

The 61-62 manual says the circuit breaker is on the wiper motor's mount. I cant find it! Where is this circuit breaker??
Fordward.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

somewher i have a pic of this
give me some time as over the years i have taken nearly a thousand of different slicks and parts
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
X-wind
Canada

Post by X-wind »

I was able to resolve the problem without locating the circuit breaker. The switch was worn out & dirty. I disassembled cleaned and rebent some tabs. Works good now. Waiting for rain now :D

Curious as to this circuit breaker location still.
Fordward.