crank pulley rebuilders search

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

unibody madness
United States of America

crank pulley rebuilders search

Post by unibody madness »

So the Turk has been down for close to a year because of various problems that would not allow the rebuilt 292 to run at speed. I have, I believe, finally found the last problem, after r and r- ing the motor, trans, rebuilding the distributor ect. numerous times.
Today Fellow member milldinaire came over yet again to bail me out, we found two bad plugs someone had bashed upon installation.(I am not placing,nor admitting blame)
What we found upon attempting to time the motor was, that the counterweight on the crank damper had broken loose.
I remember reading somewhere since the sickness took hold, that they can be repaired.
Since it is a double pulley I installed for power steering, so SWMBA would be able to drive the old girl (the Turk), It would greatly help if someone has a how to...or Knows someone who preforms this service.
Thanks
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
slickstysix
United States of America

Re: crank pulley rebuilders search

Post by slickstysix »

I had mine done by The Damper Doctor (www.damperdoctor.com). They have some in stock, depending upon what model you have. They didn't have a replacement for mine, so they rebuilt it. About $100.
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I seem to remember seeing some instruction on here but it's been awhile ago.
I've done a couple myself. The thing you must pay attention to is what I would call reverse engineering your balancer core by indexing it to the crankshaft and TDC, to find it's original position. Both times I did this the engine was out of the vehicle. Then it was simply a matter of sliding the pulleys away from the core, cleaning the rubber with lacquer thinner, applying super glue GEL Glue and sliding it back into position. This has worked for me two different times.
Your results may vary!
Also I've always added a crankshaft seal AND sleeve because it was needed as well.
So, all in all, 100 bucks from The damper Doc isn't too bad if you want to take the guess work out of it and feel confident it is done right. On the other hand if you can do it yourself, why not. I will say the crankshaft sleeves are a little pricey for what they are (almost 20 bucks for a thin metal tube).
Stick the damper in the freezer (i leave it in overnite.) And put the sleeve in boiling water for awhile. swipe a little lube on the cold damper and then use the provided "cap" tool to tap it on. It will go on much easier. You can do this without all the heating and cooling but it's more stressfull and you risk ruining the repair sleeve.
unibody madness
United States of America

Was quoted 162.00 to refurbish my y-block dual belt pulley and 92.00 for a 352 pulley, not including shipping.
Since I have seen both and do not understand the price difference, and am vehemently opposed to price gouging, I will seek to try option two. any words of wisdom appreciated
Turk build thread at:

62galxe

Post by 62galxe »

check with mummert. I bought a rebuilt from him. don't remember the price.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/index.html
1963 uni PATINA BLUE
1965 short bed
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

carpenter has them
C3Tz-6312-C

"double sheave f500-600 8cyl 272-292 57-64 $75"

same one i have on my truck.

z
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
unibody madness
United States of America

Once again to the rescue THANKS BRIAN!!!!!!!
Turk build thread at: