Patina Revisited

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 litl un

Patina Revisited

Post by 64 litl un »

I'm in a philosophical mood tonight. Where the rubber meets the road I really do not care, at least not enough to lose any sleep over what someone chooses to do to their truck. It's theirs. I may not like it but I do not have to. Some things are not my style such as suspension swaps, frame clips, in the weeds, EFI, anything referencing rats, air bags, WWW tires after 63, frame swaps, big inch wheels...excuse me rimz and many other things. Folks can do what they want with what they have. I'm not a "patina" fan but lately I have thought some on the subject.

A recent build thread has disturbed me, not in an anger kind of way but more in a thought provoking manner. The thing is it was a "stock restoration". It was well done but by the end it was not a enjoyable read for me. Honestly my thoughts were How much money can you throw at a Slick F100 and it stick. It was not a restoration, it was well beyond that. They never were that nice when they left the factory. In my opinion it was almost obscene. I don't know, a six figure F-100 was just too much for my little brain. It might as well been silver plated.

It made me think of the hobby. I remember when it was not a hobby but more of a lifestyle or something. Growing up old cars were fixed not just to be cool, because they were, but because you had too if you wanted to drive. In mid January underneath the greasy belly of a 62 Galaxie with only an occasional visit from tom cat who laid on my chest to keep warm was not done for the love of the hobby, it was done so maybe I could milk some more miles out her. Maybe just maybe I can get that FE right. I was too late, took her for a drive and she burned the tires. My victory was shortlived The daylight drive revealed the rings were gone.

Things seem so much different now. Maybe it's my age and the fact I have not been in it in a while. I puked in my mouth a little when I read a question about how to make an FE sound like a 5.0. In forum land everything seems so extreme. In the real world what was common like wrenching on these old relics or even seeing them seems unusual or odd. I looked for a 3 speed floor shift.....they don't make them anymore. I went to put tires on my Jeep......theres so many dang types of tires, it boggles the mind and none are what I would consider a "common tire". A plain old tire with out all zig zag graphic is now a special item. It amazes me how hard it is to fine a smooth blackwall tire locally. Like I said everything seems extreme or either a specialty. Hence I get to patina.

You can look at patina different ways. Fake rust.....that's just nuts. The thing is, some guys will cut our real rust, replace it with a perfect panel then apply fake rust?? OK but why? What's the allure? is the look anti establishment? Anti big money? A class struggle? Laziness? Economy? A marketing tool? Maybe it's all of those things or none of them. Even some of who I would consider old time restorers...hotrodders will chime in on a well aged original.....Don't change a thing on that truck......

I think the patina thing may be deeper rooted than many will admit. I think it's about hopes and dreams. I think it's about what could be. Remember all the paintings of the muscle cars, 50s cars all parked around a rotting falling in gas station? I think we like to remember them that way. When you could buy them with a pocket full of cash. One thing I have always enjoyed about Slick 60s folks is they seem to be like that part of the Patina concept. For a long time a Slicks 60s Ford was well......Cheap. Nothing special. The last of.....Them...... Seeing a six figure restoration of one makes me think they may be....Crossing Over.....You know going the way of the 32 Ford, 40 Ford, 57Chevrolet, 65 GTO, 68FE Mustang GT, and 70 Chevelle. Crossing over from a car high school kid could build to luxury play pretty. Patina looks like what that mythical American kid dreamed of finding. A thought that comes to mind is...... Does it have to be fake?. That extreme thing again I guess.....

Returning from the abstract, my and my son's project is about to commence. That 64 would not make a good parts truck. A lot of that truck is too good to scrap and too rough to restore. I'm not setting out to build a patina rod. I just want to fix the old truck. Financially it's go or show...I'm choosing go maybe one day It will be shiny.....that's the goal.

I would like to think this is going to be like a story a coworker told me. He graduated in 64. He said when he was in Jr High a neighborhood boy built a car. it looked like heck for a long time. Primer spots here and there. Unknown to that high school kid that was building the car.....all the younger boys were keeping up with build. He was their hero. At 70 years of age, he still remembers when that fellow pulled in the drive with his car all shiny. It's a journey thing...at least for me.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Patina Revisited

Post by unibody madness »

Well said
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I love old paint all polished up
Dents & rust tell tell the story , like wrinkles & scars on the skin of the owner
Fake patina can be spotted so easily
Can't fool a real Motörhead !
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

When its done right, I like the look of a vehicle that seems to be a Palomino horse ;) on the cheap of course !
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i appreciate that folks do like to create nice shiny trucks but my truck is a truck and is used as one so a few spots or minor dents dont really bother me.
i care more about everything it came with working properly.

i have real patina on the roof of the 64 rambler, does not really bother me at all and all of the people who comment on the car have never said anything about the "rusty roof".
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Couldn't agree more.
Every day above ground is a good one
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

I think it's safe to assume that the build thread you mentioned is of the '66 we restored. The point of the restoration was not to throw money at it just to be spending money, but to build the truck to the best of our abilities. While we do value originality, we also have to put our name on our restorations- anything less than our best work doesn't get out the door.

That said, my daily driver is a '64 VW sunroof bug that's still wearing it's original paint. I have a '66 C10 that has mild patina. I just sold my only shiny car and replaced it with a '77 Celica that has satin paint. I much prefer well-kept original paint over a restored car or truck.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

I agree with most all of the above,my truck has one purpose.Get me to work and home.I'm to lazy and indifferent to do pretty or cool.Tune up's,tire's,and brakes.Patina,just look at my seat,still has what's left of the original upholstery.I'm not goin change a thing,the first dent happened back in March.Still there,getting some nice rust on it.
As for the puke in the mouth business,keep some mouth wash handy.It's a cruel world out there,and if a man's goin make he's gotta be tough or at least have fresh breath..whatever the hell that means...
Mr.Astronaut your build was what "most" guys dream about.
Dan
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

All I know is the older I get , the easier it is to accept imperfections ! hahahah

When I went thru my 64 (Donnies truck now) I tried to do everything the best I could.. and then I was scared to drive it !

So I learned a lesson and didn't get so crazy on the uni... If you build more than one I can understand making them all different...
Gary Seymour
United States of America

Post by Gary Seymour »

I can't see the point in fake patina. Real patina has a genuine look that kinda tugs at the ol' heart strings, and is cool. I don't like big dents and gaping rust holes though.

That restoration on the '66? All I can say is what a jewel! :clap: It's an inspiration to me. It really IS the kind of work I would do, if I had the time, talent, and gumption to put in.

I can appreciate and applaud those of you out there that use their trucks for what they were built for - every day work and transportation.

Then there's guys adding the modern drivelines and suspensions. Bravo! It's a challenge and you are brave for taking it on. Is it cool for an old truck to ride and drive like a Crown Vic? Heck yeah!

I am building mine as a simple hot rod.

These trucks are still easy to find and affordable. That's what makes them so great.

Do what makes you happy, and support the hobby as a whole. :burp:
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Making fake patina on a vehicle is indeed tough to do right I think.. But it makes it more of an ART CAR.. which is something I do like.. Trying something way different can be risky !

Thats why they say ..."The pioneers take the arrows !"
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I don't think I'm doing any paint work on my '37. It's getting new suspension all around, big disc brakes and a roller Ford small block but the body is staying as found. It's taken since 1937 to get it to look like that, it tells a story. It's this solid because it was parked in a garage in 1956. It will also get new upholstery that is stock.

I don't like created patina but if it's original it's earned the right to wear it.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

This truck is f/s on kijiji up here at the moment, and has patina for days, and not the artificial kind:):)

brute66
United States of America

Post by brute66 »

LM14 wrote:I don't think I'm doing any paint work on my '37. It's getting new suspension all around, big disc brakes and a roller Ford small block but the body is staying as found. It's taken since 1937 to get it to look like that, it tells a story. It's this solid because it was parked in a garage in 1956. It will also get new upholstery that is stock.

I don't like created patina but if it's original it's earned the right to wear it.

SPark

Agreed Steve, your '37 is a time machine and I'd leave the exterior the way it is
F164

Post by F164 »

Most of the "patina" jobs I see for sale are because the owner isn't willing to spend the money to do the paint and bodywork. Somehow the patina label makes it worth more money in the sellers eyes.

Paint has one primary purpose: to preserve the metal, a secondary purpose is to please the eye.