Thinking about some mods

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

F164

Thinking about some mods

Post by F164 »

I put the 64 up for sale or trade to see what would come up. Nothing that I am interested in, so we are going to keep her and do a few mods to suit our tastes.

We desire a dependable DD. Its pretty much there now. The engine runs well, the tranny is ok, at 70 mph it steers straight and tight (as it can), everything works, it needs some odds and ends, but is a solid truck that needs nothing to drive 3-4k a year.

I want to lower the truck. I thought about a drop axle from Sid, but the front end is tight and I cant see taking it apart. Next I thought about a set of mono springs to drop the front 3 in along with a hanger flip on the rear. The springs, shocks and sway bars would run me under $1000. The last option is to leave the front where it is and install the 2 in shackles on the rear that I already have. That leaves me the $1000 to spend on exhaust, sway bars and enough left over for some stuff I have been putting off ordering.

The exhaust: Im planning on ram horns for the 292. I really like lake pipes. Would lake pipes look silly on a stock height truck? How about side pipes? Not my favorite, but I haven't seen a set on the road in years. If I don't do something on the side, I would have the exhaust exit under the running board in front of the rear fender.

Other than ride height and exhaust I only want a bed cover, ac, and a nicer grill as big projects, everything else is nickel dime stuff.
bruceandersson

Re: Thinking about some mods

Post by bruceandersson »

Have you already upgraded the brakes? That's one upgrade that any DD needs to keep from parking inside a newer car stopping short in front of you. Sounds like you are talking yourself out of the lowering and into the exhaust from what I read.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Have fun with the truck F164. I can't tell you whats best right or cheapest. But there are sure a LOT of directions a person can go. Having a decent budget helps as well !

I kind of like the on the cheap in garage route, sounds like you do to. ;)
F164

Post by F164 »

Money is always a factor. Right now I have some funds that can go into the truck and not be missed. IMO Anything I do or spend isn't going to increase the value of the truck, its only for my personal enjoyment. I figure on a good day the truck is worth 14k the way it sits, to bring anymore than that I would have to spend more than it will return.

One of the issues I wrestle with is looks vs function. Its easy to bolt on a set of drop springs, but then there are issues with the oil pan, bump stops, bump steer, steering geometry, alignment, and drivability. I don't think I want to address all those issues right now. Once in a while I run across a rolling chassis that someone is unloading on the cheap. Maybe I will buy one of those and build a dropped chassis to bolt my body onto.
F164

Post by F164 »

I had a cash offer of 13k today for the truck as it sits. I wasn't even tempted. I cant replace it for 13k, so I will sink another 5-8k into it and drive it until something else catches my interest.
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

+1 on a disc brake upgrade if you haven't already. For the money, I have heard good things about the Speedway conversion for a 64. I'll be doing that at the same time I put in the drop axle and rebuild the king pins and rod ends.