53-60 power steering kit in a 64?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdc3jj

53-60 power steering kit in a 64?

Post by cdc3jj »

I've spent the better part of the evening reading the posts concerning the geometry problems associated with rack and pinion systems mounted to the straight axle and they all make a lot of sense to me, even with double u-joints and slip shafts. However, I am still interested in adding power steering to my 64. Ideally I would be changing to a tilt column as well. Flaming or ididit and shifting through the floor (or going automatic, but that's another thread).

So my question is, having read a couple posts either here or on FTE which allude to the possibility of using a 53-60 power steering conversion kit, what modifications have to be done to safely and effectively use it on a 64?

I have not seen the frame rail of a 60 to compare it with my 64. But knowing they share the same straight axle set up, it would seem like this is a possibility. My main reason for wanting power and tilt is to free up some space between me and the steering wheel. Thanks
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 53-60 power steering kit in a 64?

Post by Toyz »

Not sure of the issues with axle mounted rack and pinion. As you mentioned; a good slip joint is a requirement. There are factory applications using a similar joint, so I am not sure of the extent of the problem. It's a definite compromise, however I prefer that approach to the old slave cylinder assisted style. Unsprung weight is certainly a concern, but not a big issue for truck use, IMO. If you want it to drive like a car, then a conversion to independent suspension is probably the solution. There are other options , such as after-market conventional power steering gearboxes made specifically for the straight axle slicks, or the Toyota 4x4 unit. I believe Unisteer may still also make a rack and pinion type set up for the original fore and aft design. Of the various choices, the after-market replacement gearboxes are possibly the best choice, although losing the advantages of a good rack and pinion setup. They retain some semblance of original appearance. I believe they are marketed for the '57/'60 design, but evidently work well on the later straight axle trucks.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

I put the the NoLimit R/P on my sons 64 I never had any problems , i'm going to put another on the 64 i am working on for my daughter now.look up member "spstack" he used the ccp box on his 63 said he loves it i'm sure he can tell you how its done.

Danny
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

Danny, I'd love to see some pics of that install. My concern about the r&p was a solid mounted column linked to a moving axle. I think seeing the actual kit installed might help me realize how they overcame this issue. I'm not so worried about it driving like a car, but I'd like for my wife or mom to be able to hop in and go without breaking a sweat backing out of the driveway. I'll check out spstack's posts when I get home this evening. Thanks.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

I don't have any pictures of final install might check with "MAX" He has the same set up viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12376 You cab see it mounted in picture , the steering shaft coming off R/P slides inside itself for movement , like a pto shaft to drive a bushog on a tractor does .http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91138 ... eport.html went and found this online you may have seen it but the 5th picture shows the connection between the column and the rack....

Danny