292 Y Block Alternator swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Holly100
United States of America

292 Y Block Alternator swap

Post by Holly100 »

My question is just about the wiring for a three wire GM alternator. Does the positive bypass the voltage regulator? Is there anything special to wiring the warning light...anything to bypass there? How do you wire the 3rd wire?
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 292 Y Block Alternator swap

Post by Toyz »

The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Run the charge wire to the selenoid battery side.
Run the #2 spade wire to the same place.
Run the #1 spade wire to the idiot light, make sure the idiot light is hooked into accesory on the ignition switch on the opposite end.
The regulator is no longer needed
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The original regulator is no longer used; the Gm 3 wire (and 1 wire conversions) have a built-in regulator. You can remove the old regulator and wiring or just tape the old wires back into the harness. The wire on the "I" terminal of the original regulator can be lengthened and tied into the above noted charge lamp terminal to avoid disturbing the instrument panel.
As John stated; it is advantageous to run the other two wires, the heavy gauge, and the lighter gauge; to the battery side of the starter relay. This allows the regulator to sense voltage at the point at which power is distributed.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

Thanks, I figured I was over thinking it. Is the horn relay tied to the regulator at all? Is a small 63amp alternator enough? I'm not running air or even a radio.
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

Toyz wrote: The wire on the "I" terminal of the original regulator can be lengthened and tied into the above noted charge lamp terminal to avoid disturbing the instrument panel.

I'm a little fuzzy on this. So keep the old regulator?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

No, just take the wire from the "I" terminal of the old regulator and lengthen it to tie into the new alternator terminal per the drawing. This saves you from running a new wire from a key activated source through the warning lamp then to the new alternator. You can then secure the old regulator wires back into the harness and remove the old regulator. 63 amp is more than the original and should be fine with few added accessories.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Yep.
if you unwrap the regulator feed, you can see the wires that feed the horn relay. I used the original wires in the regulator loom to wire the alternator. Cased it in. the plastic loom cover from harbor freight
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!