Lost in Transmission - 64 F100

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MN66
United States of America

Lost in Transmission - 64 F100

Post by MN66 »

Did anyone catch this show on the History channel last night? They were rebuilding a 64 F100 that had a load of rust. It was disappointing that they didn't devote more time to the actual build, but I guess this was meant for the mass market and not a bunch of guys who eat and breathe everything Slick related.

If you missed it, here's the link to watch it online:

http://www.history.com/shows/lost-in-tr ... n-the-hole

Corey
1966 F250 LWB
skidoorulz
United States of America

Re: Lost in Transmission - 64 F100

Post by skidoorulz »

I watched it and was extremely disappointed in it! I don't care that they were redoing a 64 Ford F100 shorty as I own one. I like to watch shows about any classic rebuild, I don't care if it is a Chevelle, Mustang or even an old Rambler, I like to watch the work being done. I don't give 2 craps about trying to find an old Vette that someone drove when they were 19. And darn sure do not care about a staged Midget car race that was clearly done just for the show. Doubt I will watch this program again.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Thanks for the link. I missed it last night. Watched the whole program. You are right they definitely gloss over the repairs. You don't see all the behind the scenes repairs which there had to be. I would be willing to bet Rut and his sidekick did very little of the repairs. Still nice to see the finished truck.
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

I totally agree with what has been posted. Total disappointment given all they hype from the commercials. Wont be wasting my time with this in the future.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

I agree with all the comments above, will not watch again. I am one of the masses, I am a car and truck guy.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
slickstysix
United States of America

Post by slickstysix »

Yep, stayed up past my bed time to see it - waste of time.
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

My opinion of Rutledge has been and will go on being that he is a Doofus. He was a doofus on the other show with the other two wizbangs. I'm certain that he is a nice guy, but wouldn't want him or his buddy working on anything I own. When I saw how they cut out the good part of the bed along with the bad part, it made me want to puke. If, you didn't notice, it appeared that flat steel was installed for a floor. You could see it when they raised the bed with the hoist. Also they didn't install a headliner in the cab if I'm not mistaken. This is a 64 with shaky Armstrong steering and doofus was trying to run the drivers course like it was a sports car. Their lucky he didn't run over the other two guys. Someone needs to take the kid aside and teach him about the manners of a straight axle Ford with no power steering. Otherwise, he may get himself killed or wreck his grandpas truck. I love a 64, but have no illusion about some of it's bad habits. Let it set for awhile, and it will want to grab on the brakes and run one way or the other the first time you put it back on the road. It isn't something you turn over to a teenager without some education on how to drive it. Money spent on the lift would have been better spent on power steering.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Did Anyone Notice How Nice The Cab Mounts Were On That Truck? Is That Why A $5000.00 Budget Allowed For A New Paint Job, New Upholstery And Wheels & Tires. Oh-Yeah Can't Forget A Can Of Incorrect "Ford-Blue" Engine Enamel For The Y-Block! :roll: Oh-Well That's Reality-T.V. For You.........
64f100sixcylinder

Post by 64f100sixcylinder »

This show (hopefully) wont last past one season. There was probably 6 minutes devoted to the "restoration" in the 42 minute show. They plasma cut some bed floor, then POOF it was painted and done. Stupid show for a stupid general public.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

So why do you think they keep making these kind of shows. I mean crap, all the time!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

History channel used to be my favorite.... It showed old documentaries,mold movies and information... Now you get days full of American restoration, pawn stars and American lickers. Just cause something is old doesn't mean it's gold! My cable bill went up $20 for some reason... I'm about to dump it. I'm never really in the mood to watch tv. I've been thru this cycle of no cable before and survived just fine. I missed this episode cause the three hours of pawn stars put me to sleep!
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

shipwrecked wrote:History channel used to be my favorite.... It showed old documentaries,mold movies and information... Now you get days full of American restoration, pawn stars and American lickers. Just cause something is old doesn't mean it's gold! My cable bill went up $20 for some reason... I'm about to dump it. I'm never really in the mood to watch tv. I've been thru this cycle of no cable before and survived just fine. I missed this episode cause the three hours of pawn stars put me to sleep!

Count your blessings, you missed nothing.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
wndsofchng06
United States of America

Post by wndsofchng06 »

While I agree with most of whats posted here, I have to give Rut's show one small credit: at least it's not about over inflated pricing and outrageous TV drama.
MPH
1963 F100
Durham, NC
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

that was a waste of my time and electric to turn to that channel that night sorry but just my impression of Rut not a clue on cars/trucks just no knowledge
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
rderr

Post by rderr »

Have to agree. Shows like this are (in my opinion) why so many people embark on a restoration and then give up when the reality of how hard and how much it is going to cost hits. $5K to restore that truck and add a dump bed? I don't think that qualifies as reality TV. Also they make it look as though the restore is just plain easy. All they showed was the plasma cutting on the bed, not the drilling out of zillions of stubborn spot welds and much chiseling to boot.
SantiagoeFord

Post by SantiagoeFord »

Does anybody know who makes those headlights? I thought they looked pretty trick
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Finally got to watch it.....
When I saw him spraying either in like that......
Game over.... I knew I wasn't gonna like em
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
65MercTruck
United States of America

Post by 65MercTruck »

Rutledge is a fool / tool and the show itself will kill your brain cells. The show has been deleted from my list.
1965 Mercury M100
shorty style-side
351W 4spd w/ frnt disc
Dana 44 rear w/ trac-loc
Built in Oakville, Ontario
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Watched this show again and they were rebuilding an AMC Eagle Wagon.
Made a muscle car out of it and once again took it to the guy with the garage
that did all the work on the 64. Rut tried to buy a 51 F1 painted pink from a
guy in the area but price was too high. Would like to see the build instead of
all the goofy crap. Season finale is next thursday June 11. It's no wonder this
show didn't last long. TR