1964 223 power steering pump???

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdc3jj

1964 223 power steering pump???

Post by cdc3jj »

Well, I've just about resigned myself to the reality that power steering is the best option for my truck. I've nailed down all the details except one. How the heck do you run a pump on a 223? I have a single groove crank pulley. I'm sure I could fabricate a bracket to mount the pump and alternator together however, I wouldn't think I would have adequate contact of the belt if I were to run all four pulleys on one belt. Has anyone here accomplished such an act? My goal is a smaller steering wheel and no slop in the steering. Thanks
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: 1964 223 power steering pump???

Post by slick4x4 »

This looks very interesting
I've never installed a power steering , as I live in the country
And just don't do much city driving
But I would investigate this if I did
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzCaEjvJeM
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

That is fascinating. Thank you for the link. I have some investigation to do.
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

Does anyone know of a manual rack system that will clamp on the axle? Like no limits power rack does?

Without fabing a pretty serious bracket and possibly a tensioner pulley I don't think my 223 wants to see a power steering pump and an alternator on the same side, and my distributor doesn't seem to want to be crowded either.

My main goal is no slop in the steering. A smaller steering wheel would be awesome too, but mainly I'm wanting a nice response. I'm also pretty set on keeping my 3-on-the-tree. I think my problem is dropping the money on a rack or p/s box and pump only to fail miserably at attaching the pump.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

What about an electric power steering pump? I have no experience with these but know they are available and are used on newer cars.
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

I looked into an electric set up but I would still be losing my column. There's not enough room anywhere except under the dash for the motor and that would require cutting into the column. Which would mean goodbye 3-on-the-tree.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Does anyone know of a manual rack system that will clamp on the axle?

The 62 in my avatar had something like this fitted. The details are sketchy as it was already fitted when I bought it and it had a receipt for "1969 power steering setup?!" whatever that was. Basically it had a control valve bolted to the pitman arm and a ram clamped onto the axle that pushed/pulled the drag link just like the early mustang type. It was a pretty basic setup but it worked well for its intent.
It was a bit too light for my liking at highway speed, tended to wander but it could have been a combination of 'mans axle' plus old springs, worn kingpins bad column bearings and a steering wheel too big! :lol:

RHD slick but it should be the same just the other side!
cdc3jj

Post by cdc3jj »

I emailed 'no limit' to see if they offer their kit with a manual rack. I think that would eliminate my slop without requiring a redneck engineered bracket. If they don't, I might look into the cobalt rack another guy used over on FTE. Thanks for the suggestions.