63 tranny swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

63 wrongbed
United States of America

63 tranny swap

Post by 63 wrongbed »

Hello everybody, new to site, 1st post, I have a 63 with a 292, 3 on the tree. I want to put in a automatic tranny, I was wondering what tranny would bolt up to the 292 without major modifications. The reason for this is I have bad ankles and arthritis in the knees, any help would be appreciated
Thanks

I moved this from projects and builds, sorry for confusion
bruceandersson

Re: 63 tranny swap

Post by bruceandersson »

To use ford parts it would have to come from a truck or car that had a y-block in it. Either the borg-warner based fordomatic or cruisomatic. There may be adapters out there for other transmissions. The fordomatic was an oddball 3 spd. Normally only drive in 2nd and 3rd and first required a manual placement into first gear via the selector. The cruisomatics shifted 1-2-3.
63 wrongbed
United States of America

Post by 63 wrongbed »

bruceandersson wrote:To use ford parts it would have to come from a truck or car that had a y-block in it. Either the borg-warner based fordomatic or cruisomatic. There may be adapters out there for other transmissions. The fordomatic was an oddball 3 spd. Normally only drive in 2nd and 3rd and first required a manual placement into first gear via the selector. The cruisomatics shifted 1-2-3.
Thanks for the info, I was told by a guy at a f100 truck show that a c6 would bolt right up, I'm looking for some more opinions
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

http://www.flat-o.com/carproducts/yblock.htm

Note the truck kit has the ears for the truck transmission mount. To answer your question, a C-6 will not bolt up to a Y block with out some type of adapter, it will on FEs as long as it's an FE C6 transmission ......The fellow at the truck show was mistaken. Many especially those that think they know it all or just enough to get themselves in trouble often confuse Y blocks with FEs....Ford/Edsel early "big blocks" as they are somewhat Y shaped as well.

A c-4 is a good transmission and can be built very strong.....some say stronger than a C-6. Anyhow a C-4 will do a 63 very well. Now these adapters are not cheap but in the long run will likely be cheaper than a complete engine swap with new or rebuilt parts.

Here's another likely made by the same folks...
http://www.ford-y-block.com/C4%20truck.htm

The John Mummet price list shows the truck kit being.....$655.00 That's not too bad.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

You will also have to make some sort of adjustment to the mounts as hinted at by 64 litl un. The 292 was mounted at the front of the engine and at the bell housing. 292's can also use side mounts which would enable the use of the auto, or stabilizers like they used in the 2 seat tbirds. But if you are going to this length, why not find a 5.0L with aod and gain the advantage of overdrive? No preference on engine type, the small block would just give you the most choices for an auto transmission.