'64 Steering column into CV swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slickstyfour
United States of America

'64 Steering column into CV swap

Post by slickstyfour »

I've recently installed a CV IFS into my '64 and haven't figured out the steering yet. I want to keep my original column but it has the attached box. Can I cut of the box and weld a D joint to the end of the shaft? I do have the bottom part of a mark viii that goes into that rack but haven't checked to see if it will fit into the CV rack. That's not a big deal if it doesn't, I'll just get one from a CV but I'm stumped on the column as of now. I don't want to experiment with cutting on the original column before I know exactly what I'm getting into. Anyone else have experience with modifying their original columns? Any help would be much appreciated.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Re: '64 Steering column into CV swap

Post by Hunter's 64 »

It has been done, you have to cut the tube and shaft at box , find a bearing that will fit inside of tube and over inside shaft , leve a stub of the inner shaft exposed and grind a DD into shaft end and fit with a universal joint to conn to cv rack.If you use search function you can find info.

Danny
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

I have seen lower column bearings for this deal on ebay. IMHO!
William-in-St. George
slickstyfour
United States of America

Post by slickstyfour »

IS this an OE bearing from a '65 or later? Just seems easier if I could find a factory part and if it were available.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

if you can get a caliper and measure id of tube and od of shaft a" good " napa counterman can look up the bearing size for you. :2cents: or once you have size call these guys
http://www.locateballbearings.com/?gcli ... gQodUW0AXA

Danny