'66 Sweep Cluster wiring diagram needed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

69supercj

'66 Sweep Cluster wiring diagram needed

Post by 69supercj »

I took my cluster out to retro fit some SW gauges and I'm putting it back in but I've got a wire that I can figure out where it goes. Its hot when the light switch is pulled out and I think it was attached to one of the metal studs that holds the wiring harness clips and the reason I say that is because that stud was double nutted with a star washer between the two nuts but that just doesn't seem right. Its a solid black wire with a round end and its located just right of center as you sit in the truck. I'd planned on using this for my SW gauge lights, would that work? Will I need to ground the new gauges somehow for the lights to work? The only other wires on that side of the cluster are the old oil pressure wires I'm no longer using.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: '66 Sweep Cluster wiring diagram needed

Post by Toyz »

Scanner gave up on me, so I can't scan them in. Checking both the repair manual and the wiring manual, it appears the only solid black wires are a heavy gauge one running to the ammeter when so equipped, and lighter ones from ignition switch to fuse block, as well as in the windshield wiper circuit from switch to motor.
Blue/ red stripe is the instrument panel lamps fed off the fuse box and switch.
Yes, you will need independent grounds for the lamps to work on the new gauges. They might pick up an adequate ground thru the mounting brackets, depending on how mounted. To be certain, it is a good practice to run an independent ground wire from each of the retaining nuts on the gauges to a solid ground. Leave enough wire to allow the panel to be removed without disconnecting the ground and lamp wires; it makes it much simpler the next time around.
On the '66s, the fuse for the instrument lamps was originally 2 amps; depending on the needs of the additional gauges, you may want to increase this to 5 amps or so. Won't hurt to try staying with the 2 amp; just have a 5amp on hand in case.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Okay I got it figured out. I was right, it was connected to the metal stud on the gauge cluster as it grounds the cluster lights. My next question is can I use that wire as a hot for my new guage lights?
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

69supercj wrote:Okay I got it figured out. I was right, it was connected to the metal stud on the gauge cluster as it grounds the cluster lights. My next question is can I use that wire as a hot for my new guage lights?

[color=#0040FF][/

if it is used for a ground, NO. You need to find a hot for the instrument cluster. I recently added an original am radio [not operational] to my truck and ran a new wire from the bulb to hot wire on the fuse box with key on as to illuminate the faceplate when my truck is running to make it appear the radio is on.color]
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

Okay thanks. I'll find a hot somewhere else.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Just tie in to the blue/red stripe wire as noted. That will give you the ability to dim along with the existing panel lamps.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I tied in to the hot side of the factory lamp plug. I just slid back the plastic socket and wrapped both gauge leads around the wire and shrink wrapped them together, that way I didn't have to cut any of the factory wiring and I also connected both grounds to a two wire plug that I can unplug to make removal much easier.