Powdercoaters in OKC area?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

Powdercoaters in OKC area?

Post by orangeRcode »

I've had wheels, brackets, and headers coated by a couple of different shops but its been years ago. Who have you used and were you pleased with quality and pricing?
orangeRcode
United States of America

Re: Powdercoaters in OKC area?

Post by orangeRcode »

So does nobody use a powdercoating vendor or are you doing it yourself?
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I use some powdercoat but he's too far from you to do you any good. Talk to some local racers and see who they use.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Might want to find a local guy call them and ask if you can come by and see some of their work, if they dont want to do that ,find one that will .... if they do good work they will be more than happy to show it to you. also if they are real busy thats usualy a good sign also, most of the time. :wink: Steve's way works also 8)

Danny
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

LM14 wrote:I use some powdercoat but he's too far from you to do you any good. Talk to some local racers and see who they use.

SPark

I am thinking about buying a set of old headers from TruckRat and trying my hand at it. Buy the gun and powder from harbor freight and I can get a used oven from my bro-in-law and bake them.
Hunter's 64 wrote:Might want to find a local guy call them and ask if you can come by and see some of their work, if they dont want to do that ,find one that will .... if they do good work they will be more than happy to show it to you. also if they are real busy thats usualy a good sign also, most of the time. :wink: Steve's way works also 8)

Danny

Another good idea. Thanks!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

The powder coating companies I deal with (3 different one) will not do headers. They will do cast iron manifolds but not tube headers. They expand and contract too much and the coating will lift, crack and the tubes will rust. There is a high heat coating but it is actually meant for exhaust pipes or cast manifolds, not headers. The actual coating used for headers is ceramic and works with the expansion/contraction, it's totally different stuff.

One of the powder coaters I work with actually told me if a powder coating company says they can use normal or high heat powder on headers to walk away. It has to be the ceramic to work long term. Some show cars can get away with it since they don't run that long but if you plan to actually drive the engine, get the right stuff.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

There is an exhaust coating you can brush on after media blasting
that you can try. Pretty sure Eastwood has it. Looks like cast iron when dry. TR
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Truckrat wrote:There is an exhaust coating you can brush on after media blasting
that you can try. Pretty sure Eastwood has it. Looks like cast iron when dry. TR

I have to decide on which headers I want to go with. It appears that to get a decent set you are looking at $500. That's probably going to wait a while.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Buy your new headers already coated. It's a lot cheaper in the long run and you usually get a better job. I know Sandersons come both ways, I got uncoated because I'm not doing a stock install and was afraid I would have to modify them. I would have gotten coated if it was a pure bolt-in deal.

SPark