intake manifold oil baffle (valley pan)

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

born4ford
United States of America

intake manifold oil baffle (valley pan)

Post by born4ford »

I finally have my engine and tranny mounted to my frame and all are back in my garage. I picked up all the misc parts left over from the rebuild so that I could put on the exhaust manifolds, alternator, etc. myself. When I did that I asked the mechanic what this round plate thing was and he turned white. It was the flex plate that goes between the tranny and the engine, LOL. He is going to come to my house to pull the tranny and get that put in place.

That goof got me to thinking.......he had said earlier that the intake manifold oil baffle was unnecessary so I have that in the parts I picked up. My shop manual says this comes from the push rod chamber floor. So the question is - is it OK that the oil baffle wasn't installed?

I think that you can see a photo of my engine through this link - Image

Julie
Mr. Jones

Re: intake manifold oil baffle (valley pan)

Post by Mr. Jones »

Julie,
Your frame looks great,and the engine too.I don't have an accurate answer about the oil baffle tray.Here's what I think,the Ford engineer's put a lot of time and thought into these FE engines throughout there production.That pan was put there for a reason and I don't know why.Hopefully others will know more and chime in on this.
"SOMEBODY!!!"
Good luck with it......
Dan
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Can you pull dist, and see if it is installed? Been a long time since I did an FE.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The oil baffle keeps oil from splashing on the underside of the intake manifold. This matters because the stock manifold has exhaust gases passing through it for the pre-heat. If the baffle is left out with a stock manifold, then you will end up cooking some of your oil and it will not hold up as long between changes. It looks like you have an after-market manifold. Most of these do not have the exhaust passages for pre-heat. I'd just verify with your builder, but you should be alright with an after-market manifold.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Julie, I am not certain that the baffle is important enough to remove the manifold to replace it, but, as Dan stated, it is there for a purpose. The factory heads and many aftermarket manifolds do in fact have the heat risers, especially those produced for the California market.
With the crossovers in the heads, even if the manifold did not have the heat risers; I would personally want the baffle in place, if for no other reason than to somewhat block the heat from the oil to the underside of the manifold.
The part of some concern to me is how one leaves off the flex plate! My own memory is very poor; since I am unaware of the circumstances, I am in no position to judge. Without being overly critical, I would be a little concerned as to what else may not have been done 100%. The engine looks great, but there are several objects on the top end which caught my attention. I will withhold comment in hopes that some of the big block gurus may either note the same things, or that I may be simply jumping to incorrect conclusions.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

1) Wix oil filter
2) Single belt pullys
3) Oil sending unit...

IMO
Dan
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

its wix racing filter thats why its black an 3x the price of the regular

been using wix for many years never any issues

i would remove the intake and install the pan, better safe then sorry
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Well, finally heard back from the mechanic, who is on vacation in Montana. He has re-built a handful of 352's over the years, including one for himself 20 yrs ago and one that he has rebuilt for a Cobra kit he is working on. Says he never uses the baffle. Same reasoning as "bruceandersson", new Edlebrock intake that he says overrides the need for the baffle.

So tell me about the double pullys I have. I don't get it. I thought these engines usually had just one, two if you had AC. I don't have AC and there doesn't seem to be a sign of AC having existed at some point.

And, what's wrong with the oil sending unit? O.K., truth be told, you will have to tell me where the oil sending unit is, LOL.

Julie
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I see nothing wrong with the gauge type sender next to the oil filter. As earlier stated, the baffle may not be a problem. My concern would be the original heads with the exhaust crossover, especially if the original exhaust diverter valve is still in use. The heat will still be directed to the manifold even if the manifold itself has no crossover port. Some of us run shims at the manifold to block that passage; the manifold still gets quite warm even though then.
The items I noticed on the top end were what appears to be a large cap screw in the heater port as well as the "kickdown" linkage which appears to need modification to work with that intake and carb. No big showstoppers, just some items kinda in the WTH category.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Note that i am viewing the pic on a smartphone with sixty-something year old eyes. Just a reminder; It appears no clamps are installed on the coolant bypass hose behind the water pump. Be sure to put some in place if in fact missing. Aftermarket worm gear clamps can be installed without removing the pump; original type, not so much. Also, be certain the flex plate gets properly torqued; you only get one chance without disassembly (again). Just little things, but that is what restoration is about; attention to little things!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

must be someone drinking

those do look like 2 sheave pulleys

the oil sender is the shiny thing with the screw sticking out of it above the oil filter
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

I agree, Toyz, the restorations that make me linger and look at cars shows are the ones that pay a lot of attention to the details. That oil sender was on the engine when I bought it. Doesn't mean it was original but there weren't a lot of changes made to it before me. I'll get those clamps on that hose though. I am making some not completely correct changes to this truck but not a lot. I will add a double pot MC, I have added 3 point seatbelts, new intake manifold, 1976 four barrel carb and 1967 mirrors just because I don't like '65, '66 mirrors. I'm hoping that only you guys will know the difference.

Julie
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Julie, looks as if you are doing a thorough job! None of my trucks would ever meet the definition of "original", and I like it that way. Even my drip rails are from a later truck. The sender on your engine appears to be correct for a gauge application. If you have the "idiot light", you will need to replace the sender with a pressure switch as Dan mentioned. The "kickdown" linkage will also require modification/ replacement to work with the 4bbl. and taller manifold. I can't tell if the carburetor has the bellcrank for the linkage or not; if not more modification will be required.
These are the "joys" of making an old vehicle "yours"! Sometimes it may seem an overwhelming task; but when it's done, and you can stick that "built, not bought" sticker in place, it all becomes worthwhile!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

"One thing at a time."
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

I am happy to see performance or safety "improvements" over OEM equipment with these old trucks. It's much better than seeing them being devoured by some grapevines and inhabited by a family of porcupines in the back of some forgotten woods. Only those slated for some museum display would I expect to be 'OEM correct' and 'right as rain'..... but not those driven on roads getting pelted by stone pecks.....

Just my :2cents:
BarnieTrk
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Additional function: The valley pan helps direct the lifter oil splash back to the rear of the engine to the small drain holes at rear of valley. FE put alot of oil up top. I read on fordfe.com this was an enginering correction for the Y-Blocks running too dry up top. Oil will be slow draining off of anything rough cast vs the slick valley pan. If he opens up the holes and coats the valley he is ok unless street drivin. It is also suposed to keep the intake runners cooler. If it were mine I would install it next opportunity, never know when you may need to run it hard for a few counties.
Chris
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

So tell me about the double pullys I have. I don't get it. I thought these engines usually had just one, two if you had AC. I don't have AC and there doesn't seem to be a sign of AC having existed at some point.

Julie[/quote]
The double alternator pulley is stock on most 3/4 tons if not all. Was on mine and others I have seen.
Chris
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Re the baffle.
If Ford didn't think it was necessary it's a pretty good bet they wouldn't have installed them on the millions of FE's they built

Factory intakes, cast iron and aluminum, have an additional baffle/pan riveted to the underside of the intake. This baffle/pan is the primary protection keeping the oil away from the exhaust cross over passage. I have never seen an aftermarket intake with this piece.
Here is where I disagree with some of the previous posts. Most of the aftermarket (not all) FE intakes do have the exhaust cross over passages, like the factory intakes.

I believe the baffle you are talking about is needed, since there is nothing else keeping the oil away from the bottom of the intake.

Just tossin' in my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Roger Carter
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

L. I. B. M. R .....Double pulleys......