Spring Sag

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

F164

Spring Sag

Post by F164 »

Yesterday I installed the 2 in Crown lowering shackles on my 64 short flareside, 292/AT.

Before and after installation the truck leans to the right. The lean is 1.5 in on the front and 1/2 in on the rear.

This leads me to believe that the lean is being caused by the front springs. I don't see any indication that the frame is bent or has been damaged. The front tire wear looks even, but there only a couple thou on the tires.

Is my 292 offset to the right, putting more weight on the right side? The pumpkin is offset to the right and the driveshaft looks like it is parallel to the fore/aft centerline.

Should I swap the front springs to the other side and see if that changes anything?

I had to take the Crown lowering shackles to the bench grinder to make them fit. The bottoms were way beefer that the oem shackles and were to large for the hangers. The rear shocks looked good but were completely worn out. The local Advance had a set that I put on. They fit but were not the same as the set I took off. The new set has a much smaller diameter.

Overall the look is good with the shackles and the ride is better. Im concerned about how much metal I took off the hangers to make them fit and probably will go another route this winter when I attempt to relocate the gas tank and redo the bed wood.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Spring Sag

Post by Toyz »

Unless you believe the springs have been reversed, i would not think that to be your cause. The drivetrain is offset for various reasons. All other things being equal, i certainly would not expect an ~ 1" offset to have that much effect, even considering ancient springs. I don't think I have frame and height dimensions anymore for the leaf spring trucks; they may be available on line.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
F164

Post by F164 »

This pic is in the driveway this morning. I don't think there is any suspension mods other that the lowering shackles that I installed on the rear.

Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

probably just old truck swagger! 8)