Rear brake hose issues

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

69supercj

Rear brake hose issues

Post by 69supercj »

So I got the new rear hose mounted and all connected but one thing I noticed on the new one and the one I replaced is that the end that mounts to the rear end housing sits so tight against the housing that you cant get a fitting wrench on the fittings to tighten them. Can a guy use a spacer to raise that up a bit, shouldn't be any issues with leakage from the rear end as long as the vent hose fitting is tight, right?
BarnieTrk

Re: Rear brake hose issues

Post by BarnieTrk »

I would say there shouldn't be any worries of leaks from there since there shouldn't be any pressure there, as it only serves as a vent for the differential. I would still use a dab of RTV on both sides of the spacer/washer just to keep from developing a 'damp with lube vapors' spot at that location AND to seal it from letting water into the area to contaminate the diff AND to reduce the chance of rust starting at that fitting location. Just my :2cents:

BarnieTrk :steering:
Holly100
United States of America

Post by Holly100 »

you could also just skip the line wrench and carefully use a standard open end wrench. I did.
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I tried a standard wrench but it didn't get it tight enough to keep from leaking and it was starting to round the edges. Got a couple washers under it along with a rubber seal and all is good.
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

Can you [with the block off the rearend] support the block, tighten the lines with your flare nut wrench, then mount the block :2cents: ?
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I just removed the vent tube and spaced it up with a couple of flat washers and then added a rubber washer and its working fine.