Identifying FE Engines

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DKC

Identifying FE Engines

Post by DKC »

I have a stock 66 half ton custom cab. I assume it is a 352 because I think I read somewhere that was the only V8 offered in 66. Is this true? Also, are there any visual differences between a 352 and a 390?
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Identifying FE Engines

Post by Toyz »

The old adage remains that all '65/'66 light truck V-8's were 352's until time to sell; at which time they became 390's! 352's were the only V-8's were offered in regular production. There are no definitive external visual clues between the two. Checking the stroke will narrow it down, but still no definitive answer to total displacement. The smaller displacements can be identified by the crank flange once the engine is removed. These trucks are 50 years old; a lot of changes could have been made in that time period.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

My 1966 352 has "352" embossed on the front driver's side of the motor, just below the head right beside the water pump.
Justin
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

ALL FE'S Have the 352 embossed in it,,, one way to tell is if it's a untouched 352 the bottom crank pulley is the harmonic balancer as well single pulley, if it's double or 3 groove it was added on to the stock single groove pulley/balancer so it would be 2 or 3 groove at the bottom,,,, all the other FE's have a normal balancer that you bolt on all additional pulleys with no place for a belt
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Mellvis

Post by Mellvis »

So the engine I pulled from the old beast had the pulley balancer that you describe fro the 352. The engine I installed had a balancer that you bolt pulleys on to. sounds like I need to investigate the stroke of my replacement engine.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo