What pulley drives the power steering pump?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DKC

What pulley drives the power steering pump?

Post by DKC »

As I look for a donor truck, or parts package to get power steering for my 66 1/2 ton V8, some basic first questions come to mind. My truck has a a 2 groove crank pulley, a 2 groove alternator pulley, and a 3 groove fan pulley, all currently driven by 2 matching belts. The empty 3rd groove on the fan pulley is a little smaller that the other 2. Is this where the power steering pump would be driven from? Also, what model years of trucks will have the Saginaw gear and conversion parts I need? Are any parts below the Saginaw steering gear arm changed in this conversion, or are these common to both PS and manual? (Tie rod, Drag Link, ect.). Will a 3/4 ton donor truck have the parts I need for power steering conversion, or are these parts heavier or different?

I know that many will recommend that I swap in a later model disc brake assembly at the same time, and I may, but first I just want learn what power steering parts will fit where.
lineman1984
United States of America

Re: What pulley drives the power steering pump?

Post by lineman1984 »

I created a post late last year concerning upgrading my 66 F100 to power steering. I have since completed the upgrade using parts from a 73 F100 donor truck. It has been the best upgrade I have done so far.
As for the belt question; it sounds like your truck has a heavy duty alternator, thus requiring two parallel belts. Not sure about running the proposed P\S pump off of the third groove on the fan\water pump pulley. That is a question for someone above my pay grade!
Check out my earlier post and let us know if you have any other questions.
Justin
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: What pulley drives the power steering pump?

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

2 answers,, some water pump pulleys have 3 to run a/c or have seen them run a smog pump
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo