3.03 transmission rebuild

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

lineman1984
United States of America

3.03 transmission rebuild

Post by lineman1984 »

Hello all,
The three speed manual trans in Bernadette has been sticking in gear and refusing to shift between first and second. Started with just first gear and only when warmed up. Now she sticks in any gear and at any operating temperature. No grinding or wierd noises but, a few gear oil leaks. Has a floor shift conversion kit and new clutch.
So, after adjusting the Mr.Gasket floor shifter and changing the fluid to no avail, I decided to pull the trans for a thorough inspection. The gears, shift forks, syncros, and bearings look good with the top cover pulled. I think the shifting problem lies in the cheapy after market shift kit and lack of maintenance. I plan to replace this with a quality Hurst shifter. But, while I have the trans out I want to replace all of the seals and bearings. This thing leaks from both ends. I found the correct rebuild kit on drivetrain.com. Problem is I can't find a service or repair manual or any other literature on tearing into this project. Any ideas? Any how-to videos or guides out there? I have access to any tools I may need but would like a guide so I don't waste too much time or do any damage.
Thanks and God Bless!
Justin
bruceandersson

Re: 3.03 transmission rebuild

Post by bruceandersson »

I've used the older chiltons manuals as guidance on working on these. They are pretty straight forward. Sticking in gear is usually not the transmission that is at fault, its usually jumping out of gear as things get too worn. Is your clutch fully disengaging? This would also cause it to 'stick'. For sealing the back, make sure the end of the driveshaft is not grooved at the seal and you might want to replace the rear bushing along with the seal.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: 3.03 transmission rebuild

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i think you should start by seeing if the clutch is out of adjustment
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton