Ignition switch

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mellvis

Ignition switch

Post by Mellvis »

I bought a new ignition switch for the old truck today. The old switch has three tabs that the rubber boot with wires goes onto and three connectors (4 wires on thes connectors total) that go onto the post with a nut. Me new replacement switch has an extra tab (for a total of four) that is outside of the area that the rubber boot goes on to for the other three tabs. Problem? Don't worry? Is this just so the replacement is more of a universal fit? I'm headed out to install it and see what happens.
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Ignition switch

Post by bobenhotep »

That extra tab grounds when you start the truck. It is for the later trucks that have a brake warning light and it is what makes the brake warning light come on when you are starting the truck.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Mellvis

Re: Ignition switch

Post by Mellvis »

That explains it. Thanks!
1965 F100 "Papaw's Pride"

"So I'm working on a cistern inlet valve and the guy hands me a lock nut wrench! I was like 'What is this, a drainpipe slipknot!'" -Flo