Rear Spring Hangers

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

F164

Rear Spring Hangers

Post by F164 »

Am I correct that the 65+ DJM rear hanger/shackle kit does not work on a 64 due to the rear spring hanger being different?

If I put a 65-72 rear spring hanger on my 64, could I use the 65-72 hanger/rear shackle kit to lower my 64?

Anyone have a set of 65-72 rear spring hangers gathering dust?

Am I making this to hard?

I would just flip the front hanger but I think that I would need to use a lot of shims to correct the pinion angle.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: Rear Spring Hangers

Post by SteveCanup »

I used the DMJ '65-'72 shackles on my '64. Worked like a dream. I also flipped the front spring hangers and obtained 5 inches of drop. I used a pinion angle tool to check my pinion angle and it was right on. If you lower the back of the spring a certain amount and you lower the front of the same spring the same amount...the pinion angle will be the same as when you started. I did have to use my grinder on the rear hangers to get the shackle to fit.
I hope that this helps.
1964 F-100
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Did you have any trouble with bed clearance by doing that? TR
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Yes...There were 2 set of holes for the spring. I used the 'longer' set of holes and I had to cut clearance into my bed. I didn't mind as my bed floor was rusted out. You would have to put shims between the bed and frame to clearance the shackles or use the lower holes and cut it shorter. Shims would raise the bed to clear the shackles, but would throw your body lines off...
1964 F-100
F164

Post by F164 »

I have a Flare bed so I shimmed it up and installed the longer shackles. Fits and clears the bed fine. I guess the next step is to flip the front hanger.

I ordered a set of new front springs this morning, when those arrive I will install them and adjust the rear ride height off the front height.

Hopefully when all is done I will end up with a 2/4 or 3/5 drop.

BTW: What size bolts do I need for the front hangers?
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Steve you had a wood floor in your bed didn't you? I see the holes for the boards and the one board in the picture. That would not be a good thing if you have a decent floor in your bed and don't want to cut it out unless you built a raised floor in it. TR
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Bed floor is shot. The bed had been hit on the left side and I will eventually replace the bed when I have $$$ to spend. I installed treated decking lumber in the bed with stainless carriage bolts. Looks and works fine for what I use the truck for.

Without the bolts installed...
What I use my truck for...besides cruising...
1964 F-100