Parts interchangeability between 65 and 66

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Lucky Lad

Parts interchangeability between 65 and 66

Post by Lucky Lad »

I have a 1965 standard cab F-350. I'm looking at a 1966 Custom Cab junker. Will interior cab parts switch over to the 65? Specifically the straight line speedo dash. Other parts I want are the exterior trim pieces, deluxe door cards, side windows, and the V-8 and transmission that's in it. Even small bits would be nice like the windshield washer, chrome grill in nice shape, etc. The 66 cab is toasted so swapping cabs is not an option.
The 66 has the Twin I Beam front end, my 65 does not. Would the engine change be a simple swap, using the V-8s motor mounts? I have a 240-6cyl now.
Thanks for any info.
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Parts interchangeability between 65 and 66

Post by Toyz »

Dash parts can be interchanged with some minor harness modification to accomodate the single turn indicator. Most body parts and trim will interchange. Engine/ trans, not so much. You would need the fore aft mounting system for the 352 and bell housing. Or fabricate custom mounts.
Radiator mounting would also require some fabrication. Grille is a direct swap.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Lucky Lad

Post by Lucky Lad »

Thanks for the reply Paul. The truck I was looking at was in an auction so I was keeping a low profile. I did buy it today. I still don't know much about it but it's not a 1966 F-250, it's a 1965 F-100 with probably 1966 front end on it. What else can people tell me about it? Is the extra fuel tank factory? Someone today told me it is a camper special, true?
Here's a link to a photo album.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/rustorat ... t=3&page=1
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Ordered out of Cleveland District Sales Office and produced at Michigan truck in early October, 1964 as a '65 model. 3.25 rear, three speed standard, long bed. Surprising part to me was the 352 4V (4bbl. carb) engine. I was not aware (or forgot), that they produced the 352 4v in the '65 trucks. Also, the colors, "TM" are unusual for '65. "M" is correct for the white base; I can find no factory reference to "T" for '65 or '66 trucks.
The '65 grille was discontinued shortly after the end of '65 model production, the '66 grille was listed as a "service replacement" for the original. There were known instances where dealers received a late production '65 with freight damage, and did not have a '65 grille in stock. When they ordered the replacement, Ford sometimes sent them the '66 grille. Thus there were a few instances where new "leftover" '65's were sold with the '66 grille although originally received by the dealership with the '65 grille. Since yours was very early production, I would expect yours was later retrofitted due to a fender-bender or other damage.
F100 Camper Special packages were not so designated by emblems or warranty plate in '65 unless ordered on a DSO or FPO. If it has evidence of tiedown hooks on the front bed facing the cab, or evidence of camper tiedowns originally mounted to the side of the frame, it may well be a CS. A heavy rear spring pack was included on the F100's, but was available without the CS package and without the DSO. If specified for bed mounted camper, it usually would have a wiring harness taped to the frame near the front driver's side of the bed. Ones equipped for trailer towing would have a similar harness at the rear bumper, sometimes with various trailering wire plugs, sometimes without. Quite a few were delivered with a passenger side tool box mounted low on the bed side in front of the wheel wells; some even had another on the driver's side. Many had an auxiliary gauge package with the Custom Cab sweep speedo.
Keep in mind that there were a myriad of exceptions to what I am stating, the truck could have been modified for various uses prior to delivery. It is also not unusual to find a fifty year old vehicle which has gone thru multiple evolutions for various reasons.
Paul
Last edited by Toyz on August 8, 2015, 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

You will need a FT bellhousing and front cover. I believe the bellhousing is C5TE-AA. The one I have from an Industrial 428 had a larger flywheel. The front cover from a FT MD will work. The FT crank snout is bigger but the difference is made compensated in the spacer inter diameter. The one I have is an early C4TE. It works but has an integrated water pump and a large cast iron pulley, the stock belts set deep nut didn't bottom out.

PM sent.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Just noticed the frame holes probably for the camper tie-down arms as well as the side tool box. Also noted the '66 F250 emblems. Most likely as you surmised, the front clip has been changed. Interestingly, the pics show the high trans cover and the four speed tranny. It might be worth checking the frame numbers on the right frame rail just ahead of the suspension; the door may have been changed, although the wheels indicate it is in fact an F100.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Checking other sources, it appears the "T" paint code was one of two beiges, either Navajo or Sierra. It also appears the 208 gross, 172 net, horsepower 352 is in fact a 2V.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Having just pieced together a front end for my 65 f100, I am learning a lot about swapping parts 65 to 66. Most of it very negative in some respects. However, you are asking about a 350, which is also another different critter in may respects. What I have found out on my 65 is yes you can swap the radiator support, but you need the inner fenders to go with it. I had already painted the inners I had and when I got ready to assemble the front end of the truck, I had to modify the inner fenders to fit the support. Essentially, I had to cut some of the inner fender off where the lower part bolted to the support on the 65. Still assembling the front end, and it's been a bear with things not lining up right. ON top of this, I could not use the 65 radiator and have to use a later one as the bolts have to be mounted to the support on the 66 and not on the wings like the 65. I have to use a 66 and up type radiator with mounting holes on the front of the radiator. I had bought two used ones which were supposedly in good shape, but both have leaks which will need repaired. ON top of which, I bought a quart of paint to paint the hood and right front fender and painted both before I decided to do the other fender. So I bought a gallon more, of what I thought was the right color. Only, either it was mixed wrong or I asked for the wrong color the second time. So I now have to repaint the other fender before putting it on. I'm finding lots of differences between 65 and 66 trucks. Especially the early 65 to 66.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

350 is a different animal with more in common with the earlier leaf front trucks. The inner fenders are the old style, as is the core support. When used as assembly, it's not too bad a job, other than re-locating the battery. Because of the engine changes in '65 models, the mounting pieces are a little harder to find, although, as Chris said, the FT stuff can be used on the V8's with a little ingenuity.
For those utilizing the '66 coil spring type front sheet metal, or some repop core supports, on their '65 twin beams, keep your old core support if wanting to retain the '65 radiator. You can transfer the "wings" to the new support, or use them as a pattern to easily make replacements. Again, that old standard disclaimer applies: These trucks are 50 years old, things may and even probably have been modified in the past, so compare/fit, compare/fit!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Lucky Lad

Post by Lucky Lad »

Thanks again for all the great information. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions when I get the truck home and can check it over better.
Lucky Lad

Post by Lucky Lad »

I got the truck home and can see things a little better now. Paul, it does have a 4 barrel carb on it. Of course that doesn't mean it's original to the truck.
The driver who brought the truck to me told me where he thought the truck came from, and I know the family. Hopefully they can shed some light on it's history and what shape the motor was in.
The carb was on the front seat, so that's not a good sign. Though I'm not sure it's the right carb. The intake has 4 equal size ports, but the carb has small primaries and larger secondaries.
Am I right in thinking you can't tell if it's a 352 just by looking at it? Here are some motor pictures.
I'm starting to take parts off that I want so they won't have to stay outside for the winter.

BAMAFORD
United States of America

Post by BAMAFORD »

I'm pretty sure that the 352 in a truck did not come from the factory with a 4 barrel. A previous owner may have swapped the intake for one from a 4 barrel FE off of a T-bird or Galaxy. It is also possible that the engine has been swapped. It is pretty much impossible to tell a 352, 360,390 or most FE's apart by looking at them. The common way to determine what engine you have is to measure the stroke with a rod through the spark plug hole.
The Second Ammendment is the Original Homeland Security
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Visual indications are that it is NOT a 352, so, assuming the 4V belongs on that engine, we can rule out 360; now, we are dealing with two differing strokes; again by appearance, we can rule out the larger displacements, leaving only the 390. It's a guessing game at best, but that would be my guess. If the top end is not original to that engine, it would be anyone's guess; even knowing the stroke would not be definitive.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul