5 Headliner Clips

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

William-in-St George

5 Headliner Clips

Post by William-in-St George »

The back piece of the headliner (over the rear window), connects to the top piece using 5 clips. I cannot figure out how these five clips are installed. Short story: Bought the carpenter headliner kit and installed the top and two side pieces. Went to install the back piece and broke it. Bought some heavy paper paneling at Home Depot and cut a new back piece using the broken piece as a pattern. So far so good. I will soak this piece in ammonia for several hours before I try to install it. I have 5 small clips. These are not S clips like the ones used at the front of the headliner. These small narrow clips have a C section with a short tab on the other end. I cannot figure how these little buggers connect the rear of the headliner with the back piece. Thanks for any help!
William-in-St. George
skidoorulz
United States of America

Re: 5 Headliner Clips

Post by skidoorulz »

The clips hold in the back piece
William-in-St George

Do I push the clip on the back piece or the headliner? I plan to install the back piece then the headliner and I will remove the rear window first. I think that is the reason I broke the original.
William-in-St. George
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

clip goes on the headliner
mine only has 3
not a very good design the clips are supposed to keep the top of the back piece in place, works ok until the to gets older and saggy then they dont want to stay.
more clips might help me, for now anyway, headliner is getting old and a new one is somewhere in the future
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
William-in-St George

I was poking around over on FTE and saw one that used screws to hold the back piece? Wondering what he used to hold the screws? Also planning to cover the headliner with a layer of thin foam and then Vinyl. I also think I'll stuff fiberglass insulation into each available space between the cab and headliner. I already have a layer of the tinfoil/bubble insulation glued up there. The fiberglass is just cheap sound reducer. I bought a sheet of fiber board at Home Depot for 9 bucks. This stuff is just a tad thicker than the Carpenter headliner but I think a prolonged soak in water and ammonia will make it pliable enough to install. I have some soaking in a bucket for a couple of days now to test if it will de-laminate. I used a jig saw to cut it out and then sanded the crooked edges. All in all it looks pretty good. I eliminated the cutout for the OE light. I will use a nice Hella I snagged off ebay for interior light. No door switches just the light switch turn to operate. This HD fiberboard stuff would support speakers easily if you have a radio. I don't. Prefer to listen to my mighty fat a$$ 460.
William-in-St. George
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i tried to use a thin strip of wood on the front of my headliner and a few screws, not wanting to hit me in the head anymore but still beyond help
probably could make a few of those clips for the backside with needlenose and some fat paper clips make them so they stick down further than the factory ones which barely snag the edge
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
yellodog
United States of America

Post by yellodog »

not origional, but those really big plastic pop rivits will hold those peices together nicely. those big push pins work fine too.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

After spending too much of my life repairing these headliners for commercial customers; I have developed a deep appreciation for Graybeard"s one-piece upper glass headliners! On the cabs for which his replacement is not yet available, I run a thin piece of aluminum flat bar formed to the headliner contour under the headliner from side to side at the junction area. This allows one to secure the pieces with either quality double sided tape or screws, or both.
I also would not recommend fully covering the area with any kind of insulation unless you are in a very dry area. The tendency is for the insulated area to sweat allowing moisture to build in the triple seam areas of the roof.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
F7BIGJOB
Location: West Greenwich, Rhode Island & Providence Plantations
United States of America

Post by F7BIGJOB »

I put some pics on your other post.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34720&p=291018#p291018
F7BIGJOB
-Steve

1965 F-250 4x4 Flareside

ImageImage