Duel Wheel dilemma

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Lucky Lad

Duel Wheel dilemma

Post by Lucky Lad »

My 65 F-350 duel wheel rear end has 5.87 gears in it and 16" lock ring wheels. To solve both problems I bought a 1977 rear with 4.10 gears. This rear had wheels on it but two of them were lock ring type and they were all fairly rusty. The seller had a small junk pile of wheels, so we looked through and found 4 nicer wheels which he also said were disc brake wheels, but would work on my rear. So I get home and try to put the wheels on the rear but only one would fit. The center hole on 3 of the wheels is .200" too small, and they didn't have the extra hole for the alignment pin. I have a small machine shop. Is there a reason I'm not thinking of why I shouldn't machine the centers of the wheels .200", and either remove the alignment pin or drill the wheels for it?

What is the reason for the alignment pin on the earlier wheels?

The seller is a half day away, so if I could solve this without going back that would be ideal.
Thanks
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Duel Wheel dilemma

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

sounds like you got 3 old chevy wheels

i had a 69 d70 in my 65 wrecker i used coined wheels i took off a dodge they were 16" 1 piece wheels. they used regular style but 9\16" lug nuts.

there was no pin, but it could have been removed previous to me or was something used later in the 70s.

1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Lucky Lad

Post by Lucky Lad »

Thanks Ice. I don't want to cobble up another makers wheel, so I guess I'll take a ride soon.
With dial calipers in hand this time.
R Pope

Post by R Pope »

Only reason I can see for an alignment pin would be to "clock" the valve stems....??