Adapting a fuel sending unit?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

unibody madness
United States of America

Adapting a fuel sending unit?

Post by unibody madness »

Soooo....
I am just about finished with my gas tank install using the Isuzu tank and I need a fuel sending unit for a 61, that is clocked 90* counter clock wise, looking at the outside flange end,(brand new D.C. unit).
The Isuzu unit reads between 50 and 120 ohms and the D.C. unit reads between 10 and sixty ohms.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Adapting a fuel sending unit?

Post by bobenhotep »

I have never heard of using an isuzu tank. Is it in the back or in front of the axle? What year and model was the donor?

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

unibody madness
United States of America

Dan,
It goes behind the rear axle much the same as Skips Mustang swap, don't remember the exact year I used, but Michell used an Isuzu tank in her 56 and fire truck used a 90-98 Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport fuel tank on his truck.
Do a quick search on Isuzu gas tank and you will find lots of reading material.
I am sure the mustang swap is cheaper, and later models would have a larger capacity, but I wont put the filler in the bed floor.
I will be putting pics up when I have a chance to upload to photo bucket.
Turk build thread at:

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I wish I could recall more of my unused electronics knowledge. I think if you place another resister in parallel with the sending unit element, you will reduce the resistance through the two of them. There must be a formula somewhere which would allow you to figure out what is needed to bring the resistance of the Izuzu unit into line with the ford one.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

IME, resistors will not allow correct readings throughout the range. Another resistor in parallel would seem to simply rely on one or the other dependent on the higher resistance at the particular position ( path of least resistance). I have had little luck with the aftermarket linear replacements. Easiest dependable answer is adapting an early Ford unit to the particular tank. Hardest part is finding one to match the depth of the Isuzu tank. Another option is to use the Isuzu sender with a compatible aftermarket gauge.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Thanks guys for the responses. At this point I am looking at trying to find an earlier version clocked correctly, or trying to make one out of what I have in parts.
I would like to stay with the original gauge, as the Isuzu one would look like hell modded in or cut into the dash insert.
Does anyone who has done the mustang swap have a pick of the sending unit installed? perhaps I can tell which way it is clocked by the steel grounding stub?
Turk build thread at:

unibody madness
United States of America

Not sure how it will work since I have the body off at the body shop.
I drilled the rivets holding the sending units to the bracket, clocked it 90* and welded the bracket arm back on, riveted the unit back on and installed it.
I will try to hook up the gauge for a test later this week.
John
Turk build thread at: