Jumping in! 65 F100 2wd to 76 F250 4X4 frame swap questions

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

STRANGE JAYMZ
United States of America

Jumping in! 65 F100 2wd to 76 F250 4X4 frame swap questions

Post by STRANGE JAYMZ »

Hi all, just found this site and its great! I've been doing searches and gathering parts for 2 years or so (getting great info and at the same time more confused! how does that work?) and know my cab will bolt up and there will be a gap between the bed and cab. That being said both are LWB trucks, the body and bed are mocked up. Rear wheels are centered as best as I can get them, but all I have to move it is 2" forward instead of the 4" that I should have to get a 1 1/2" gap!?!?!?! What should the correct gap be? One the other hand it does look like the front wheels look 2" forward IMHO BUT on every 4X4 pic I've seen this is normal, but not on the 2wd!?!?!? I plan on putting 33-12.5s on it with a small lift. It almost seems easier/safer to move the rear springs forward instead of cutting the frame.......Opinions? Next observation, on the front bumper I took off the 76 bumper to frame brackets put them on the 65 bumper and bolted it to the frame, it all bolted up.....but its too far forward with a gap. The 65's frame horns have a lip on front that has the holes so you mount the bumper to the frame, should I weld up frame horns or shorten the brackets? My body man is getting itchy to paint the cab and I want to modify the frame, sandblast and powdercoat by the time he gets done. Also since it was 2wd and I've now got a C6, I'm gonna need a new C6 tranny hump, All I've seen on Ebay are the 4 speed 4X4 humps, are they the same as the C6 humps with just 2 holes instead of just one? Thanks in advance, I've had this truck since I was 20 (43 now) and finally at a point in life where my childhood vision is taking shape and I'm as giddy as a little school girl!!!!
bruceandersson

Re: Jumping in! 65 F100 2wd to 76 F250 4X4 frame swap questi

Post by bruceandersson »

Welcome to the party!

Bed location: I have not done this, but would agree that moving the spring perches would be easier than cutting the frame. You may have extra frame at the back, but that's a safe cut to make.

Front bumper: The bumpers are the same easiest thing would be to shorten your brackets, splicing the 65 frame horns on would make a few folks scratch their heads if they were really paying attention.

Transmission hump: I think the only transmission that used a separate hump was the 4 spd. If you have transmission clearance problems, you'll need to use the 4 spd hump and cut the hole for the transfer case shifter. Otherwise you probably just need the transfer case shifter hole cut into the non-removable hump that your cab started with.
STRANGE JAYMZ
United States of America

Post by STRANGE JAYMZ »

Thanks for the info! A little research in the LMC catalog carpet section confirmed there is a low hump and high hump, C6 and 4 speeds had the high hump, column shift non C6 had low hump. Now all I need to know is the difference between the two high humps besides the hole placements!

Is there a confirmed cab to bed gap.......anyone?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

STRANGE JAYMZ wrote:Is there a confirmed cab to bed gap.......anyone?
65 is 129" wheelbase
76 is 133" add the 4" to whats already there and thats the bed gap unless you cheat it forward some (then the wheels wont be centered) or move the axle forward the 4" then you come out looking normal
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yes, there is a high hump cover specific to C6; the 4 speed cover should work well for your needs although the 4x4 cover will already have the transfer case lever cutout. I would definitely consider re-mounting the spring mounts rather than cutting the frame.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

if you don't move the rear end, you will end up looking like me.. lol I still need to move my rear end forward... it is pretty much a straight forward swap though and if you are like me, it will make it more usable.. :) start you a build pager and put up lots of pics.. we like pics.. mine is a '66 F250 sitting on a '76 F250... and welcome to the best group around from West Virginia!!! where are you located at?
STRANGE JAYMZ
United States of America

Post by STRANGE JAYMZ »

Iceman, I have seen those specs around on a few forums, that's why I was a little confused when it was mocked up that all I needed to move the bed and springs were 2" to get a 1 1/2" gap. I guess when your modifying something there are no straight answers that apply to everyone!

Toyz, I guess I could just make a plate for the 4speed hole.......but I wonder if the 4speed 4x4 carpet has holes cut in them or do you cut them in to fit?

Anyone bought "direct replacement carpet" from E-Bay or LMC?

Anthony, NICE TRUCK! a lot of my searches have sent me to your posts (and answered a lot of questions). Those gaps would drive me nuts, but I'm sure some things I'll let slide to get it in the wind would drive other people or you nuts too! :argue: Your front wheels look forward some, have you had any ideas how to center them? Or has it ever crossed your mind? what size tires are you running< and is that the stock Hi-Boy lift?

Boy Oh Boy this is my first forum and I'm having fun!!!!