Upgrade seats

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DKC

Upgrade seats

Post by DKC »

My 66 is so pure stock and unmolested that I have been torn between pure stock restoration and various non-stock upgrades. However, after driving it a while I realize that alterations for safety, -- (like discs and dual master cylinder), drive-ability,---(power steering), comfort, -- ( air, good seats, ect.) will make it a more enjoyable ride.

I am wondering what modern seats are a good match for the 66 cab. I will go with a later model or after market steering column to solve the belly-clearance problem.
Will a late model f 150 seat fit nice in this cab or do I need something a little smaller like a Dakota or Toyota seat? I would like a bench seat with a fold-down center console, and something that is not too hard to find in a local late-model wrecking yard.
bruceandersson

Re: Upgrade seats

Post by bruceandersson »

I've used early 90s f150 seats. The track width is the same and it is not hard to fir the 66 tracks onto the newer seats. These have better foam but are also a little thinner so you gain some distance to the steering wheel. Unless you go buckets, you need a wide seat, not narrow.
BlueGhost

Post by BlueGhost »

I've seen a few with 90's F150 seats. I believe the some of the Eddie Bauer and XLT F150s had a bench with a folding center armrest and inflating lumbar support.

Fordification has some good reference pics here: http://www.fordification.com/tech/seats.htm
SBC is a defunct phone company, not an engine option.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

BlueGhost wrote:I've seen a few with 90's F150 seats. I believe the some of the Eddie Bauer and XLT F150s had a bench with a folding center armrest and inflating lumbar support.

Fordification has some good reference pics here: http://www.fordification.com/tech/seats.htm
Good resource. Bookmarking it. Thanks
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

BlueGhost wrote:I've seen a few with 90's F150 seats. I believe the some of the Eddie Bauer and XLT F150s had a bench with a folding center armrest and inflating lumbar support.

I have a seat from a '94 F-150 XLT in my '66. It was a near nut and bolt install using the '66 seat tracks.
I chose the XLT because it had removable headrests rather than those built into the seat frame. My seat is a manual with power lumbar and has the fold down center armrest.
My '66 still has the fuel tank in the cab and there is no interference between the seat and tank.

Hope this helps.
Roger Carter
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

I was under the impression that the later model seats circa mid 90's would fit but they were really close to rubbing the doors or at least were much closer then the stock seats. My original seat is very good with nice maroon cloth and vinyl but I'd like to change the color to a tan and I know that the mid 90's seats had a really nice looking tan cloth available.
cooter

Post by cooter »

1990s chev truck benches fit perfect and are comfortable
why put off till tommorow what you can put off alltogether
William-in-St George

Post by William-in-St George »

Re-upholster the originals. Original seats are built of steel, fit your truck, and with just a little help (thin layer of high density foam) will provide a very comfortable ride. The tilt steering will resolve the belly issue and if your careful you can use all Ford components for that. IMHO. I have used late model Ford truck seats (foam), Mustang seats with the correct brackets (available here), But original seats beat all those.
William-in-St. George
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i converted a late 80s ford seat, for a truck i sold before moving here.
was very easy to switch brackets , i did it because the seat was free.
was not even close to rubbing on the doors
i do however think they are not very comfortable on long rides

i really like the mustang type buckets i have in my 66 4x4, i never get a sore back or butt no matter how far i have driven
also makes for extra room and no place for a middle passenger, which is fine by me.

the original bench seats are far superior in construction to the later ford bench and more comfortable (to me) anyways.
the seat in the 93 crewcab i drove down from Alaska was absolutely horrid, so i had to use 2 pillows, one to sit on and one for the back.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

this is out of a 1990 f150 and it fits perfect.

always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

ezer,
That seat looks very happy in there! Nicely done! :notworthy:
BarnieTrk :steering:
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

96 silverado in mine.. with power lumbar.. confy enough to do 18 hours in for a slickstock trip... (6'3" at 280lb's)Image