Mono-Leafs & Drop Axles - Any experience?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

Mono-Leafs & Drop Axles - Any experience?

Post by BH_CustomTrucks »

Looking to bring down the front and rear of my '62 Unibody. Lots pointing to Nostalgia Sid's (www.droppedaxle.com) for the front. Does anyone have any experience with F-100 Central's 3" or 4" drop mono leafs? The truck is stock running the 223 and 3 spd. I plan to keep the 223 so I don't expect any extra weight in the front. Can I use the mono leafs and a 3" drop axle together and not run into clearance issues (other than maybe having too big of tires?)? What's everyone doing to drop the rear? Blocks? How bad is the axle flip? Not wanting to C notch, but would be interested in that before a step notch and cutting up the bed floor. Thanks in advance.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Re: Mono-Leafs & Drop Axles - Any experience?

Post by Hunter's 64 »

https://www.performanceonline.com/1961- ... pring-Set/

I used these in the rear .... i also did the front mono's. didn't go with a dropped axel because i used a no limit r/p power steering, and they are against it on a dropped unit.

Danny
69supercj

Post by 69supercj »

My '66 has mono's on the rear, not sure of the brand. Dont care for the ride quality but I think most of that is due to the rear shocks being laid over at about a 45 degree angle which greatly reduces their effectiveness.
BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

Hunter's 64 wrote:https://www.performanceonline.com/1961-67-FORD-F-100-Truck-Rear-Mono-Leaf-Spring-Set/

I used these in the rear .... i also did the front mono's. didn't go with a dropped axel because i used a no limit r/p power steering, and they are against it on a dropped unit.

Danny

Thanks guys. Hunter's 64 did did you go with a 4 or 6" drop in the back? How about the front? Any pics on your truck? Did it change the ride much? I don't expect it to ride GREAT... it's a 53 year old truck.
'62 Unibody Short Bed
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

I put 6" in rear 4" in front , dosent leave a lot a room between the bumpstops but if your not haulin any thing but ass your fine . Lol sorry dont have any pics availablel lost them in comput. crash son Hunter has truck at college. And stay away from rough dirt roads :2cents: Other than that life is good

Danny
BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

Hunter's 64 wrote:I put 6" in rear 4" in front , dosent leave a lot a room between the bumpstops but if your not haulin any thing but ass your fine . Lol sorry dont have any pics availablel lost them in comput. crash son Hunter has truck at college. And stay away from rough dirt roads :2cents: Other than that life is good

Danny

Thanks man. Anything special you had to do to make it work? Steeringwise or for rear end clearance? I see the rears on the site you posted but no fronts, did you get them somewhere else? I appreciate the help!
'62 Unibody Short Bed
BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

BH_CustomTrucks wrote:
Hunter's 64 wrote:I put 6" in rear 4" in front , dosent leave a lot a room between the bumpstops but if your not haulin any thing but ass your fine . Lol sorry dont have any pics availablel lost them in comput. crash son Hunter has truck at college. And stay away from rough dirt roads :2cents: Other than that life is good

Danny

Thanks man. Anything special you had to do to make it work? Steeringwise or for rear end clearance? I see the rears on the site you posted but no fronts, did you get them somewhere else? I appreciate the help!

Ahhhh. Found the fronts on their website.
'62 Unibody Short Bed
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

https://www.performanceonline.com/1957- ... pring-Set/

I called and talked to them and they made me a deal on front,back mono's and shocks with all new hardware shackles for a little over a grand. You will need new shocks or your old ones will bottom out.

Danny
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Reverse Eye Mono's Front & Back.. Image
BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

Thanks Hunter's and Shadow. Shadow, that's a good lookin' truck. I'm originally from the Abilene area not too far west of you.
'62 Unibody Short Bed
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

BH_CustomTrucks wrote:Shadow, that's a good lookin' truck. I'm originally from the Abilene area not too far west of you.
Thanks. Been Through Abilene Quite A Few Times, Why Did You Leave?............
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Guys...I installed the front mono springs on my '64 (4 1/2" drop) but didn't replace the shocks. :( I need to install new shocks... can anyone recommend the best front shock for my application. I checked POL and their pictured shocks did not look like the correct ones.
Any help would be appreciated.
Steve-
1964 F-100
BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

Shadow wrote:
BH_CustomTrucks wrote:Shadow, that's a good lookin' truck. I'm originally from the Abilene area not too far west of you.
Thanks. Been Through Abilene Quite A Few Times, Why Did You Leave?............

Wife had a job offer that we couldn't pass up last year. Truck is still there. Making a few plans and gathering a few parts for when it gets brought out here. Love that area and the Flint Hills.
'62 Unibody Short Bed
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

SteveCanup wrote:Guys...I installed the front mono springs on my '64 (4 1/2" drop) but didn't replace the shocks. :( I need to install new shocks... can anyone recommend the best front shock for my application. I checked POL and their pictured shocks did not look like the correct ones.
Steve-
Steve, I Measured And Bought Shocks From "Rock-Auto" They Were Cheap With Mismatched Colors So You Will Need A Can Of Spray Paint. POL's Catalog Does Offer Lowered Shocks For This Application But They Aren't Cheap...........
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Shadow wrote:
SteveCanup wrote:Guys...I installed the front mono springs on my '64 (4 1/2" drop) but didn't replace the shocks. :( I need to install new shocks... can anyone recommend the best front shock for my application. I checked POL and their pictured shocks did not look like the correct ones.
Steve-
Steve, I Measured And Bought Shocks From "Rock-Auto" They Were Cheap With Mismatched Colors So You Will Need A Can Of Spray Paint. POL's Catalog Does Offer Lowered Shocks For This Application But They Aren't Cheap...........

Thanks...I'm not sure about the process of measuring (correctly), but I didn't think about Rock Auto...they are cheaper. I have never had to match up shocks on an older lowered vehicle. I'm in uncharted waters with this one.
1964 F-100
BH_CustomTrucks
United States of America

For anyone interested, in my research on this I have found that Sacramento Vintage Ford also carriers some mono leafs in a 4/5 drop. A little better priced than POL.
'62 Unibody Short Bed