65 short wide build plan

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Ruffneck

65 short wide build plan

Post by Ruffneck »

Hello all, new here, I have a 65 short wide, it currently is 90% stock, FE, 4 speed and has a 5 bolt dana 60 under the back..

My build plan is a crown vic front suspension, and the baddest of the bad for motor and transmission, a supercharged 5.4 4v and tremec 6060 out of a shelby gt500.. Plans are to just do mild mods to start with, tuning and pulleys for around 550 streetable rwhp..

My current question, as I'm going to start gathering parts and do all the suspension, relocate the gas tank, before I drop the coin on the motor and transmission, is what rear end is everyone using with the cv front suspension? I had thought about the tbird irs, but I am unsure of the hp capacity of it... My other thought is a 9" rear, more than plenty stout, but from what? I can always get the axles redrilled for the 5 on 4.5... Disk rear is preferable but not required..
Mr. Jones

Re: 65 short wide build plan

Post by Mr. Jones »

Ruffneck,
Just looked at the picture of your truck (profile) it appears to be a decent looking 65.Made me thing of one thing,SAVE THE FORD,lay waste to a C-10,supposedly it's a cheaper build.It's your truck do what you like........just my opinion.
Good luck with it.
Dan

Forget to say,"Welcome to the site" What part of country are you in??
Last edited by Mr. Jones on September 23, 2015, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruffneck

Post by Ruffneck »

Lol I'm a ford truck guy through and through... That pic makes it look real good lol, it's got it's fair share of rust, that and it's real sentimental because it was my dad's truck, and he's no longer here... So it will be a tribute to him, and I will never sell the truck, so I figure I might as well go all out on it...

Plus who wouldn't want a truck with 600+ crank hp that's daily driveable?
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Sounds like a cool build plan. If it's not a budget build I'd suggest a No Limit Engineering Wide Ride front suspension to keep up with that engine- the geometry is designed for the weight balance of a nose and top heavy truck. They aren't the cheapest but trucks with No Limit's suspension are running at the top of their classes at the various autocross and track events. The CV front geometry is better suited for a car with better front to rear balance and a lower center of gravity. A three link in the rear would handle very well and put down the power just as good as a four link while articulating better when cornering.

http://nolimit.net/products#!/Wide-Ride ... ry=6157545

Ruffneck

Post by Ruffneck »

I would absolutely love to run that front suspension, but minus the motor and transmission, the rest of the truck is going to have to be a budget build if I want to get it done in a timely manner... I'm planning a big move cross country next year and I don't want the truck in pieces... I want to save up for the motor and trans over the next year, and in the mean time do everything else.. Suspension, rust repair etc...

How hard would it be to do a 3 link? and what rear end?
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Take off all the leaf spring stuff, and make a crossmember to mount the three bars, and another for coilovers. Will need to make coilover mounts on the axle as well. The 9" is a good axle, I'm going to use one in my '66 C10. Check out used Nascar center sections on ebay, lots of nice parts and reasonable prices.

Pic of No Limit's 3 link kit.

Ruffneck

Post by Ruffneck »

Doesn't sound terribly bad to do, with as much as the cv front drops the truck (5" I believe?) would I need to c notch the frame on the rear?

Also what makes a 3 link better than a 4 link?
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

A four link can bind up as the body leans going around a corner. So the stiff/binding joints are keeping the springs/shocks from controling the way the suspension would normally react. They're great in a straight line, but three links are better for cornering. A three link works exactly the same geometry wise (helping to plant the alxe) in a straight line, they just articulate farther before they start binding. Just depends on the application. A C-notch wouldn't hurt, you can always add one later if it needs it.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

welcome to the slickest groups on the net!! from West Virginia.. where are you located Ruffneck? and where are you headed to? love watching the builds and if you have questions, you are sure to get the right answers here.. welcome aboard!
Ruffneck

Post by Ruffneck »

Right now I'm living by Seattle, and I work in north Dakota.. Me and my girlfriend want to move somewhere warm and south, sick of the cold lol I am going to start building in the next few months, I have to move first to somewhere where I can have the truck and work on it..

I definently want the truck to handle on the corners, so probably the 3 link will be the way to go.. Do you happen to have a link to the kit you showed me? I'm having trouble finding it..

From some things I've read, the early 80's f100's had a 9" rear with the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, so I will be looking for one of those thank you for all the input as I'm in the planning stages of my build
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Ruffneck wrote:Hello all, new here, I have a 65 short wide, it currently is 90% stock, FE, 4 speed and has a 5 bolt dana 60 under the back..

My build plan is a crown vic front suspension, and the baddest of the bad for motor and transmission, a supercharged 5.4 4v and tremec 6060 out of a shelby gt500.. Plans are to just do mild mods to start with, tuning and pulleys for around 550 streetable rwhp..

My current question, as I'm going to start gathering parts and do all the suspension, relocate the gas tank, before I drop the coin on the motor and transmission, is what rear end is everyone using with the cv front suspension? I had thought about the tbird irs, but I am unsure of the hp capacity of it... My other thought is a 9" rear, more than plenty stout, but from what? I can always get the axles redrilled for the 5 on 4.5... Disk rear is preferable but not required..
Sounds like a neat build. I've got a buddy building a 67 Mustang Fastback with donor 07 Shelby GT500. He's already running into fit issues as the Shelby drivetrain is a much taller & larger one than what was in the 67. Is going to be awesome after he works through all the issues.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Ruffneck wrote:I definently want the truck to handle on the corners, so probably the 3 link will be the way to go.. Do you happen to have a link to the kit you showed me? I'm having trouble finding it..

I found it on thier facebook page, says they're available for F100's. Wes Drelleshak is running all No Limit suspension and is one of the top trucks running autocross and track events at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/nolimithotrods ... =3&theater

Ruffneck

Post by Ruffneck »

I will just call them when the time comes... Thank you all for your input.. I will post build pics when I get to that point.. I will start gathering parts for now