wheel adapters

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

The Big M
Canada

Re: wheel adapters

Post by The Big M »

That would be a 5x100 (approx. 3 15/16"). I suspect the reason that you're having trouble finding an appropriate adapter is that it's quite the jump in lug pattern. Here's a quick sketch I made to help visualize the scale:

The inner bore is going to need to be quite small in order to accommodate the 5x100 pattern so that might be something to consider in terms of clearance.
Hunter's 64 wrote:with a 8.5 wide wheel I hope you have a large offset or a thin adpt or you might rub inner fenders :2cents:

Danny
^Agreed, this is something I'd suggest you look into further, particularly if you're going to go with the CV front suspension. I'd do some digging to see what size of wheel you can get away with, and what tire size you'll need to run in order to make it work. I know the CV does limit your wheel choices, although given the list of vehicles that use the 5x100 lug pattern I wouldn't be surprised if your wheels have a high offset intended for a FWD application.
Last edited by The Big M on October 5, 2015, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I am making a lot of assumptions here, but I also would expect those wheels to be high positive offset, as well as hub-centric. This may be a killer with the twin beams as to interference, as well as the need for hub-centric adapters. Changing to the CV front with adapters lessens the needed offset. That would give additiional track width to the already wide CV, as well as creating what would be to me, at least, an un-acceptable kingpin angle extension. To sum it up, chances are good you may have fitment problems at the hubs, as well as clearance issues.
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

^Changing to the CV would require a high positive offset, no? I'm thinking that may actually work in his favour but the spacers might just push it too wide. Good point on them possibly being hub-centric.

Looking at images of that style of wheel I'd also be concerned about aesthetics with the adapter being visible. I'd expect the mounting flange to be of a smaller diameter than the adapter itself.
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think the cv swap is out of my head and I'm leaning towards the jag setup. I'm not giving up on these wheels just yet but it's getting more and more distant with all the hurdles I'm trying to jump over. Might just have to chalk up the loss and move on
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Umm., hate to mention this, but the most popular Jag donors also used a high positive offset wheel. No matter what others may say about using standard Chevrolet wheels, that is in fact not a good method for the same reasons; incorrect offset, KPI, and hub-centric applications. Yes , the S15 4x4 wheels are close enough to physically work, but still do not mimic the original Jag offset.
depending on the original application, the wheels may have somewhat close to the CV's positive offset of over 1 1/2 ". Any decent quality adapter is going to eat up a minimum of half of that. resulting in a low positive offset wheel on a high positive offset application. Will they work, given the right adapters? Probably. Will they be safe? Maybe, it's always a crap-shoot using lug-centric adapters on hub-centric applications. Will all facets of handling be up to par? Probably not. Will a successful application yield improvements? Pretty close to an un-qualified "yes"!
Of course, then, then, we turn our attention to the rear! Will that wide of and that large of diameter wheel fit. with or without the requisite spacers? My guess is "no"!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

What is the backspacing on your wheels?

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

It's got a positive offset. Unsure of the number exactly as I bought these wheels used. Whole reason for the incorrect bolt pattern that was given to me
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I took a quick peek at the rear wheels on my truck (stock Ford 5 on 5.5) and the hub bore measures out to 3 3/8". I'm not sure how important maintaining that bore would be on the rear, but if you do the smaller lug pattern gets very close to the ID:

mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

I hate to say it but it may time to take your good deal rims "flip" them and take the cash and buy something that will work better for your truck.

Nic
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

As easy as that sounds this small of a bolt pattern is gonna make it tough my plan was to re drill to 4.5 then get and adapter to 5x4 and have the center bored by a machinist to the correct size of our hubs. That's the final resort if I can't get them sold
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

If you can nail down the original intended application then you might have a better chance of targeting your sale:

http://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/5x100/

I'm finding this very confusing though, as it just seems like a very odd combination of diameter and lug pattern. There's no overly large cars on the list above so I'm having a hard time visualizing what these could possibly have been meant to fit. Scion xD maybe, but Foose doesn't currently doesn't list a combination of 20x8.5 and 5x100 in the Legend wheel.

Might be worth an email to Foose to confirm what these may have been designed for.
JasonS

Post by JasonS »

Good point emailing them but from what I have read they custom build every wheel so it's possible someone ordered them that size