Back on the road

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rw66f100
United States of America

Back on the road

Post by rw66f100 »

Need help! Got the 66 back on the road for the first time since 91. Rebuilt 352 stock 2 barrel (rebuilt). Pretty much everything has been replaced or rebuilt during restoration. The problem I'm having is after driving for a while she won't idle unless the choke is pulled out a ways. Runs good going down the road but dies when I stop. Adjustment screws on the front of the carb are out about 2 turns. Should the choke be all the way open or is partially closed normal? See photo. Thanks for any advice.
cooter

Re: Back on the road

Post by cooter »

the choke should be wide open. You either have a vacuum leak, or the idle circuit in the carb may have some dirt in it. How does it run otherwise? May also need a little timing adjustment to help a little.
why put off till tommorow what you can put off alltogether
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

I suspect you likely you've got some crud in the carb...it may need to come off and be cleaned.

You should be able to partially close the choke after 1 minute of running; then the choke should be fully open AFTER the engine is up to operating temperature (180*F).

But before you pull the carb off to clean it, I second what Cooter suggested -- get it started and warmed up, then check the timing and put a vacuum gauge on it and let us know what you determine.

BarnieTrk :2cents:
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

That's a long time to sit. I'd also clean out the gas tank so you don't just keep clogging up the carb or filter.
rw66f100
United States of America

Post by rw66f100 »

The gas tank is new. I will have to pick up a vacuum gauge tomorrow. What's a normal reading at the intake on a 352?
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Depends on a few things....... the style/type of camshaft profile, your elevation above sea level, if the timing & idle speed are set correctly, etc.

My FE 390, with an idle speed of 900 rpms, timing at 12* advanced, with a lumpy cam, at my house (elevation of 915 feet above sea level). tapped into the intake manifold at the back runner,,,, the vacuum is steady @ 17 inches.

There are many good articles on the subject on the web; Here is a good read on the subject: http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117504

BarnieTrk :2cents:
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Photo didn't show up!
Might want to check the carburetor inlet screen if so equipped, as well as fuel pressure at idle.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rw66f100
United States of America

Post by rw66f100 »

I adjusted the timing to 12deg and did some idle screw adjustments today. Didn't seem to help. I increased the idle speed and now it will run with the choke almost completely open but the engine has a slight surge at idle. Vacuum fluctuates between 10 and 15 as engine surges.
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

rw66f100 wrote:I adjusted the timing to 12deg and did some idle screw adjustments today. Didn't seem to help. I increased the idle speed and now it will run with the choke almost completely open but the engine has a slight surge at idle. Vacuum fluctuates between 10 and 15 as engine surges.

Check out the chart at this link: http://www.dannysengineportal.com/2014/ ... -test.html

BarnieTrk