My 65 was bleeding all over the ground

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ras4434
United States of America

My 65 was bleeding all over the ground

Post by ras4434 »

Well not exactly blood but a significant amount of transmission fluid. Looks like the front seal on the Cuise-o-matic decided to give up out in the middle of now where. I guess it was a good thing I have a C6 in the garage that can go behind the 390. I am going to have a garage make the change rather than me in the driveway. I need some input from "those who have gone before me". Other than a change in the length of the driveline is there anything else that needs to change?
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
Mr. Jones

Re: My 65 was bleeding all over the ground

Post by Mr. Jones »

Don't know what my c-6 came out of, but I had to change the two shifter arms.A transmission supply shop here in K.C had a box full and most all of them were different.I found two that worked.
Dan
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

If the transmission was working fine except for the hemorrhage, why not just have the seals replaced on the current transmission? I'd suggest that this be one of the steps before installing any 60s vintage tranny as they have had many years to dry out and otherwise deteriorate.
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

I thought of having the seals replaced but was told the C6 was a stronger tyranny (may be used to pull a trailer as a back up) and there was an inconsistent nasty clunking noise that was coming from the transmission. Dont want to do this again. The COM has been faithful for the past 7 years as a daily driver.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Its hard to know if the low ATF fluid level caused any damage to the internals of the COM prior to you detecting the leak.

Since you already have one in hand, I think I would take the spare C6 to a reliable transmission shop and ask them to check it over.
If the C6 looked good / intact to them, I'd have it 'freshened' and new seals and then replace your ol' COM; but that's just me.

The driveshaft is not a big deal......

BarnieTrk :2cents:
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

You will have to pull the engine to install the C6. There is a crossmember in the way. It is riveted on the 65/66 chassis and bolted in from 67-79. The FMX/Cruie-O-Matic in 65/66 has a removable bellhousing and can be removed with the crossmember in the way. The crossmember MUST stay in the chassis, whether riveted or bolted in place. The chassis will twist and the cab will sag if it's not there.

Tracy
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure