Jamesdfo's bed pics

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SRSControls
United States of America

Jamesdfo's bed pics

Post by SRSControls »

So let me begin by saying there is never enough time in life, never enough time with your kids, and never enough time to get the stuff done that I wanna. That being said, sorry I didn't get this posted this weekend James, I had life happen to me again, :? .

For the rest of you, I am posting this here for James as he doesn't have a photo-bucket account.....Enjoy!

http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/sho ... 65&page=33

What Did You Do Today (2015) Discussion / Chat
View on www.canadianrodder...

Day?? How about the last week?

Fri of last week, I headed from Edmonton up north to my buddy Ken's acreage out west of Grande Prairie. Fri afternoon was spent driving around looking at/for vintage tin. When we got back, the trailer was still empty
Sat AM, we started in on sheeting the floor of the mezzanine in Ken's new 30'x80' Coverall building. Mezzanine is half length, so "only" 40' long
There were a total of four of us, so when we finished, there was still a little daylight left, so went out in the back forty and drug my Thames out of the shelter it's been in since dragging it back from out near Hixon (south of Prince George) back in Sept/2008. Ken decided that we should take all the peices (which have been laying loose) and bolt everything to the chassis, so after a late supper, we went back out to the (other) shop & rolled the A-frame over top of the shell and rigged it up and lifted it so we could position it properly over the chassis. Took some messing about, but we got the body crudely mounted to the chassis, then started in on the front sheetmetal.
A lot happened over the weekend, so I can't even tell you if we moved the Thames to the back corner of the new shop Sat PM, or Sun AM?? (but it did get moved)
Sun, we went back out, and drug a 49 or 50 Ford pickup up next to the shop so we could peel all the sheetmetal off, but forst, we had to rake all the compost out of the box. There must have been six or more inches of stuff back there, and it' too bad we diodn't do this earler in the year, because the strawberry plants growing in the box were no longer producing
After filling the bucket on the Bobcat full of compost and dumping it, we started in with zip discs & the torch detaching all the sheetmetal from the chassis. Made two piles, one for stuff being saved, one for the stuff going to the scrappers.
Next, the flatmotor & trans came out, and then Ken used the bobcat to move the parts to the back where they will be stored. The chassis got moved into the shop, so that later all the suspension brackets could be removed, to be sent to a fellow in BC who is doing a resto.
Next up was a Jag XJS with a SBC in it....but terminally rusty.
It was drug out of the back forty with Bobcat, and brought up next to the shop, where Ken turned it over with the bobcat. We unbolted the front suspension crossmember (which will eventually find it's way under my '64 Merc truck), pulled it out, and set it on a pallet.
Next, after cutting exhaust and anything else impeding removal, the sbc & trans were removed, followed by unbolting & removing the rear diff.
The carcass was turned back over and moved to the back, awaiting pickup by the scrappers.
The next victim was a 280Z, which another fellow needed some bits off, so it received very similar fate/indignities as the Jag did
All the suspensions, diffs & motor/trans were put on pallets and moved out back.
???I think I may be forgetting one?? But can't place the vehicle right now
We spent some time cleaning up the area we had been using next to the shop, then Ken backbladed the whole area to keep it tidy, and the missus happy
After a late supper, we went back out to the shop, and started removing all the suspension brackets from the truck frame, packed it in around 10:00 or so
Mon was a travel home day, but I needed to start organizing/gearing up /collecting materials for my next adventure, a trip to Saskatoon (area) to retrieve a Mercury Pickup box & Tailgate on Wednesday...
Tuesday, after picking up some goodies (receiver/ball, wiring adaptor, etc,) I headed out SE of Edmonton to a buddies place to pickup his single axle trailer to use for my adventure on Wed. Well, as usual, PRINCESS AUTO stuff bit us in the @ss . I plugged in the adaptor, check signals, OK, Brakes, OK, Tail light, NOPE!!....so I drive the trailer two driveways east on the TWP road to my buddies dad's place (cuzz I'n no electrical expert)....and we proceed to spend something in the order of the next hour trying to figure out WTF is going on. He quickly determined it was ground related, but was struggling to figure out exactly WHAT was the cause. Well, finally, he asks me to start peeling the corrugated shroud over the wiring back to chase the ground wire on the adapter.....and after about ten or twelve inches, I find the ground wire ends?? WTF??
So, he gets a peice of white wire from the garage, and I solder & shrink wrap it, and we put an end on it & attach it and VOILA!! TAIL LIGHTS!!
So, Wed AM, hit the road about 6:15AM, get from my place in west end of Edmonton to just east of St. Albert trail on the Yellowhead when I realize the directions/ph #'s for the farm I'm going to are sitting on the couch
So, I get off on 127St, head back to the house & get directions, and head off again, but by now it's 6:45AM, and rush hour is beginning
Carry on down the road, and just east of the Beverly Bridge, they have road construction going on, so progress is slow, until after you get past Sherwood Park.
Once past all the road construction, I dialled it up, and made decent time, stopped to get coffee in Lloydminister, and was at the farm (35-40K outside Saskatoon) by 11:45 or so.
The fellow selling the box called his neighbour, who came over with his Kubota tractor. After I had arranged the stack of pallets I had brought along and screwed together on the deck of the trailer, we set about removing the factory box bolts & wood blocks from the holes in box floor, & replaced them with four eyebolts I had picked up. We used the eyebolts, along with a couple motorcycle tiedowns to lift the box and set it on the pallets. Then I turned the eyebolts around (eye down) and used then to secure the box with ratchet straps. For a little more security, a couple more ratchet straps joined together were used at each end to transverse the box and secured to each side rail.
After a chat with the seller, I was on my way to the outskirts of Saskatoon to meet up with Neil (Bash & Scratch), who had gone out to look at the box the previous Friday, and close the deal for me.

Thanks again Neil, this deal probably would'nt have happened without your help!!

After sitting down & vacuuming up a steak sandwich with Neil, it was time to fuel up, and turn around and go back west.....by the time I rolled in the door Wed PM, it was 10:30PM
Spent part of the next day (Thurs) trying to contact a friend to see about storing the box in his cold shed, finally heard back later in the day, and took the trailer out there today (Fri) & dollied off, we will still need to offload and move it inside next week after he returns from Thanksgiving at the farm...

So, as a sidenote, when I called about the box, I was told it had come off a Merc truck that belonged to a friend of the sellers father, and that the truck had been written off. He told me it had been purchased with plans to be used to build a utility trailer, but that had never happened. He figured it had been in the quonset for around forty years
Well, while the neighbour & I were getting the box rigged up & set onto the trailer, the seller tells me "Yah, I think my dad bought that box in about 1968, he paid $90.00 for it"
WOW, forty-seven years indoors!!

Anyways, sorry for the novel length post, but that's my story, and I'm stickin to it

James

:cheers:

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Jamesdfo's bed pics

Post by jamesdfo »

Scott: No need to apologize, I had no expectations, it's a bonus having you post the pics for me, so thanks for that!!

And sorry for the mini novel:).......................it's a bit long winded, but packed with plot twists along the way!! lol
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Nice score!
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Well, this afternoon we finally got the box INSIDE, and stood up against the wall in the corner of Brad's shop, and Serge got his trailer back too!! :):)

.....and just in the nick of time, as the forecast is for SNOW overnight tonight:(
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Glad you are getting some progress-even if it's just moving it. Say no to snow.. It's bad for your health.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

April: "Say no to snow" haha, if I actually thought it might work I would definitely try that:)

Anyways, woke up this AM fully expecting a thin layer of white stuff, but so far, nothing (at least in this end of the city, can't say what they got elsewhere, or in outlying areas)
But next couple days still forecast a wee bit of snow, however by next Sat/Sun, they're forecasting daily highs of 50 deg F /43 deg F.......

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_m ... t=imperial
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

James that is a decent looking bed. Looks like you found a nice one! TR
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Thanks TR, I'm pretty happy, it still needs some lovin', but what needs done will be much less pain & suffering than doing rust repair:)

**And anyone who has a rough styleside box they're cannibalizing for parts, I will be needing both of the braces that go from the underside of the box floor to the outer box panel for the passenger side.
Both are missing, and the back one has been replaced by a piece of galvanized strap iron bolted right through the box panel:(

Truckrat wrote:James that is a decent looking bed. Looks like you found a nice one! TR