Styleside box dissection

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jamesdfo
Canada

Styleside box dissection

Post by jamesdfo »

WOW! I went digging on the webpage for a shop just outside Calgary, and found one page showing the Styleside box off a 1965 Ford getting worked over, and outside of the production line, you will likely not see another this far apart:)

Shop is owned by Lyle Vaas, and I have seen his work before, and got to meet him once a couple years back when he brought his bumpside "Shop Truck" up to an outdoor show here in Edmonton. They do some really amazing work !

http://www.rodsnrestos.ca/65ford/

....and here's the page showing the Bumpside shop truck, started as a 3/4T, ended as a SWB 1/2 w/ Crown Vic front crossmember.....and there is much to be learned from looking at the build pics

http://www.rodsnrestos.ca/68mercurytruck-13/
tomrooster
United States of America

Re: Styleside box dissection

Post by tomrooster »

amazing work is right, thanks for sharing. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

Yep, I like it!
I preferred it with the wheels in grey or whatever he had going on there for a second.
Also I have nothin' against longbeds. So…
Excellent concept follow thru and workmanship.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Super nice guy too. I was set up next to his booth at one of the Red Deer swap meets years ago and he had some really cool stuff. I think he also had an in-progress 53-56 Ford pickup for sale at the last RD swap meet we were at, James. It was in bare metal so you could see how straight the panels were and how consistent all the gaps were. His bare metal '71 Mustang was also really well done.

I've also deduced that he's also working on (or at least gathering parts for) a shortbed BBW Merc uni. Mark made a post on my build thread saying that "someone" was using my profile picture as an example for their wanted ad on kijiji. Pretty sure Lyle was that someone. ;)
Last edited by The Big M on July 31, 2017, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Jason: Yah, Bruce & I had a good chat with Lyle a couple falls ago when he came up to Edmonton with his '68 Merc shop truck to attend the Dropcicles show & Shine.
...And if you go into the "Projects" section on his website, and look at the photo's from any of the builds, you will likely pick up on something you haven't seen or thought of before:)

And the bare metal Mustang you mentioned has it's own Project page

**this car is so worked over, and most of it isn't readily apparent unless you really know the model, but the pics show you how much stuff has been altered. **Take a look @ the last couple rows of pics, the aluminum work in the trunk is outstanding!!

http://www.rodsnrestos.ca/71mustang-08/

There are also Project pages for several other truck boxes......

http://www.rodsnrestos.ca/pages/projects.html
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

He is presently working on a short Mercury uni, I wanted to get to his shop for his open house but the weather was really crappy for that trip. I have seen both the Mercury and Mustang, both nice vehicles.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Dean: I wonder if that Uni you mention is the one he had f/s at the big Red Deer Swap Last may? (I was kind of surprised there were no takers?)

....and I would have liked to have gone to the open house as well, but I didn't know until last week when I went digging on their webpage, by which time it was already over:(
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I think he had a Ford short uni on kijiji a while back. Just the body I think, but it looked pretty solid.
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

Talking to Lyle in Radium this past September, he says he has sold two or three, he is working on a short uni right now.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck