Transmission Rebuild

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

F164

Transmission Rebuild

Post by F164 »

Whats the chances that I will find someone that can get the parts and has the skills to rebuild the AT in my 64 F100?

Am I better off in the long run to buy the adapter and convert to a C4?

If I go the C4 route will I need a 64-66 greendot valve body to use my column shifter, or does it matter?

Ive got a feeling my tranny is about to go south. I also never solved the issue with my speedo being 18 mph off. I don't know if this is the original and correct tranny or not, I do know the truck is an original 292/AT truck.

Im going to tackle this after the first of the year, I may pull the 292 for a freshening up as well.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Re: Transmission Rebuild

Post by shipwrecked »

Curious:

What have you tried to do for the 18MPH difference? My speedo doesn't work because of the little plastic gear inside it attached to the cable is broken. I have a new one, but didn't change it out yet. Too much work to do.

Have you asked any local transmission shops if they can do the job? I have a guy here at one of the local shops who would like to do the manual transmission I have. These guys are out there still!

Im pulling the engine to do a freshen up on both as well.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Finding a good transmission shop can be a problem. The old boys have mostly retired. I've used Power Transmissions in Prospect Ohio to rebuild a number of older trannys. Most transmission shops do not do the actual rebuilds, but farm them out, and really just to the take out and re-install. I'd try talking to any restoration shops in your area to see who they use. If you do decide to upgrade, it would be nice if you could get a later OD one, but I've only seen the adapter for a C4.
F164

Post by F164 »

There is an AOD adapter available. The OD is nice but I don't really need it. Straight axles like to ride at 60-65mph and that's not a heavy load on a 3.25 rear end with a 1:1 tranny ratio.

A C4 will do fine behind a lopo 292.

II would like to keep it as original as possible, but I fear I will spend a boatload of $ and get a poor rebuild.

On a side note, I had a serious offer to buy the truck last Saturday, the guy asked how much, I told him somewhere north of 15k, he said that was a number that we could deal on.

The truck isn't worth 15k, its worth 12-13k, but its not going anywhere.
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

IMHO you have a slightly unusal truck there.
Why can't you check the VIN tag? It will tell you what the truck came with.
One doesn't see many auto/292's. Personally I would try to keepit that way or sell it if you CAN get that kind of money. I have done that trans conversion before and frankly a C4 doesn't do much for me.

I have also done an AOD with an adapter which even tho is a better final result-it is not cheap to do at all.

I would keep hunting for a transmission guy out there. They are still around and so are the parts. But it will take some patience.

Any chance of you doing the rebuild yourself?
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Just re-read this tread. What makes you think the tranny is going out? The 18 MPH difference at the speedo should not be the only clue.