8 lug disk conversion

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

TheTurtleKing

8 lug disk conversion

Post by TheTurtleKing »

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade the braking system on my 63 f250. I want to be able to use this truck as a tow vehicle so I don't want to do a 5 lug conversation. I have read through a few posts that said the spindles from a 73-79 truck should work but I haven't been able to find anyone who actually did it. I found a 73 donor truck close to me for a reasonable price but before I buy it I was hoping someone could verify that I'm not just wasting my money. Thanks!
bruceandersson

Re: 8 lug disk conversion

Post by bruceandersson »

Check out www.fordification.com This site has some great tech write ups and most can apply to slicks. For your swap, you'd be swapping the spindles between the trucks, so the kingpin size is critical for it to work.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Not to mention the change from fore/ aft steering.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

The 73-79 spindles will work on other Twin Ibeam trucks including '65 and '66. But with yours being a '63 with the solid Ibeam i'm thinking there will be some issues. I need to refresh my memory on the exact layout of the steering components on the single solid beam front suspension to confirm the details but there are fundamental differences.

I won't go so far as to say that it can't be done but it won't be a bolt in conversion simply based on the mounting position of the steering box and plane of the pitman arms being drastically different.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Didn't Bill W Have A Good Tutorial On TheSubject? I Don't Recall There Was Much Info On The Subject When I Was Thinking Of Going This Route. I Think He Fabricated Some Caliper Brackets..
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yep; I thought he might reply to this query when asked on the FB forum. IIRC, the later 3/4 ton rotors CAN be used, but it takes a different 8 lug hub, and thus, longer wheel studs. the Chebbie calipers have been used in some instances with the custom brackets, but I seem to remember they did not sweep the entire area of the F250 rotors. I may shoot Bill a message and hope his memory is better than mine!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
TheTurtleKing

Post by TheTurtleKing »

So would it be worth it to buy the donor truck to rob parts off of or should I just go the custom bracket way and get all new parts?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Not a lot of parts interchange with the straight axle trucks, unfortunately.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Unibodyguy1
United States of America

Post by Unibodyguy1 »

Would like to know more about this too for our 61F250 Uni.
TheTurtleKing

Post by TheTurtleKing »

I think I found an 8 lug conversion kit, has anyone used this before?

http://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/40-70- ... ns_c75.htm
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Here is Bil W's write-up

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19966
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

TheTurtleKing wrote:I think I found an 8 lug conversion kit, has anyone used this before?

http://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/40-70- ... ns_c75.htm
Never Seen This Set-Up Before. I Don't Think It Was Available At The Time I Did My Brakes...