General title question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

General title question

Post by orangeRcode »

For the guys doing a CV swap, specifically those using the entire CV chassis. How will the truck be titled? As a Slick since the skin is a pickup? I assume you would still have your vin on your door but would lose it in other locations with the marrying of the CV.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: General title question

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

orangeRcode wrote: I assume you would still have your vin on your door but would lose it in other locations with the marrying of the CV.

there are 2 vins stamped on every frame, the one on the passenger side near the alternator which you vould lose and the other under the passenger cab floor which would or should still remain in clipping a front end.

unless you use the whole cv frame like foodstick did ( but im pretty sure its still titled as a slick)
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Official answer varies state to state; practicality says title would remain as the vehicle appears. Even in Texas, where title is by frame, I would much rather that the answer to a law officers query would be " '61 Ford truck" than, say, " 1992 Ford Crown Victoria 4 door"! Insurer's opinion might well differ, however :evil:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:[there are 2 vins stamped on every frame, the one on the passenger side near the alternator which you vould lose and the other under the passenger cab floor which would or should still remain in clipping a front end.

unless you use the whole cv frame like foodstick did ( but im pretty sure its still titled as a slick)

This is what I was primarily asking about. You would lose your truck vins on the frame when using the CV chassis.
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

orangeRcode wrote:
ICEMAN6166 wrote:[there are 2 vins stamped on every frame, the one on the passenger side near the alternator which you vould lose and the other under the passenger cab floor which would or should still remain in clipping a front end.<br abp="398"><br abp="399">unless you use the whole cv frame like foodstick did ( but im pretty sure its still titled as a slick)
<br abp="400"><br abp="401">This is what I was primarily asking about. You would lose your truck vins on the frame when using the CV chassis.

short answer no. the crown vic suspension mounts in back of the vin but if you are not careful when you are cutting , grinding, welding, and sandblasting the frame the front vin number will become illegible. in Kansas the controlling vin numbers as far as the title is the frame number. if you try to title and out of state truck without a matching vin number on the frame you will not pass and cannot buy a tag. in Missouri the door vin plate Is controlling number and the inspector does not does look at the frame numbers. I have sold several titles with and without door vin plates and some states don't require an out of state inspection to verify that your truck is not stolen.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

SLICKCOLLECTOR wrote:I have sold several titles with and without door vin plates and some states don't require an out of state inspection to verify that your truck is not stolen.

i have done this as well
i also have a title, both frame vins i cut out and the door tag for a slick in case i ever need it

here in CO the vin must be verified either by tag or frame stamp if changing over from another states title
Utah did not but there you need a yearly safety inspection
i dont have a door tag for my 66 so they had to look at the frame
the rambler tag is on the passenger side inner fender,
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

There has to be something that covers the loss of the frame vins for vehicles that have custom frames. My guess is that that may be titled as custom built.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Here (Iowa) you are supposed to take the titles to the truck and to the chassis and get the vehicle and inspected re-titled. You also are supposed to have all the receipts for the parts. Don't know anyone that does it. Most people just do the work and keep driving the truck with the truck title since it looks right. Can make them hard to sell.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

What Steve said! In Tejas, it is not a terrible task to gather everything together for a custom title. Big problem comes in if you use a late model engine or "crate engine". Engines are required to have all emission equipment used for the original application. This causes many to ignore the titling requirements. The newly enacted system requires safety/ emission inspection in order to obtain registration unless an exemption applies. It remains to be seen how that will shake out. It currenly does not affect my vehicles licensed as antiques, and should not affect my vehicles with low usage exemptions.
One of my vehicles from Nebraska has an assigned vin even though the original stampings are in place. Texas recognized the assigned vin, though I still have the option of re-titling it with the original numbers via the inspection process. I have heard urban rumors of insurance companies rejecting claims on vehicles for which the insured vin was not present. I would suspect that would be the exception rather than normal actions.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul