3G Alternator Upgrade on 300 Big Six

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

TOsborn

3G Alternator Upgrade on 300 Big Six

Post by TOsborn »

Hello, I'm working on installing a 3G alternator (from an early 90's Taurus) into my 1965 F-100, which has the 300 Six engine. Unfortunately, the larger alternator case has a time/space conflict with the alternator pivot bracket. I don't have fab tools handy, and was wondering if anyone else has run across this problem, and any advice on mounting.

My dad did this swap on a '74 Maverick (small block six cylinder) and the 3G alternator bolted up to the stock brackets no issues. Since it worked out so well on the 'Mav, seems like a great upgrade for my truck as well!
Thanks!
Mr. Jones

Re: 3G Alternator Upgrade on 300 Big Six

Post by Mr. Jones »

Just had my 3G rebuilt this summer. The one on my 300 with factory brackets has the following applications;
92-94 Astro van
92-97 F-series
90 Linc.town car
92-96 E-Series van
Hope this helps,good luck with it
Dan
TOsborn

Re: 3G Alternator Upgrade on 300 Big Six

Post by TOsborn »

Thanks for the info. Ends up, a 3G with the "long" pivot works fine on the 300. Truck starts fine after the swap, with a few small kinks to work out. The Ammeter in the cab is reading '0' at idle with no lights on, and negative if I turn on lights and such, but with truck running I'm getting 16V on the battery.

Initial thought is shorted battery and a backwards wired Ammeter, more troubleshooting should solve it. Thanks!