Dennis Carpenter, LMC, Flashback F100?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

truckster

Dennis Carpenter, LMC, Flashback F100?

Post by truckster »

Is there somewhere on this site that is pretty comprehensive as to what parts/accessories to buy where? Seems like our main options are Dennis Carpenter, LMC and Flashback F100. Seems like I remember reading on this site that all window rubber/door seals should be purchased at Dennis Carpenter. Personally, I'm in the market for ALL window/door rubber and anti-rattlers as well as a good floor mat for my 64. But for those of us that don't know any better can we try to compile a list of what to buy and where and what to avoid and where?

If this has already been covered in detail please feel free to delete the thread after pointing me in the right direction please. If this turns out to be a helpful resource maybe mods can make this a sticky.

Thanks in advance
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Dennis Carpenter, LMC, Flashback F100?

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

my first choice is always flashback as Tom and Kathy are members and supporters of slick60s and slickstock
besides that they are both very knowledgeable about the trucks and have a large inventory of used body parts as well
they also sell the DC rubber.
as always i would rather see my $ go to support the small business owner rather than giant corporations like LMC and i still do not like their shipping policy

there are obviously some parts that only can be found at LMC and in that you are stuck but you do need to watch for the imported junk

i have bought from carpenter and others like obsolete and had no issues with them

its like anything else do some research
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I agree with Ice!! I include Rick at Carolina Classics for the same reasons. As to weatherstrip and rubber products; if Tom or Carpenter doesn't have it in stock, Steele Products is an excellent choice; feels to be same durometer and works well as opposed to some others!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I consider LMC the last resort.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

Dennis Carpenter has a good deal on shipping ( flat rate ) if your buying enough
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
rw66f100
United States of America

Post by rw66f100 »

I get my big parts from Obsolete in OK city because i live close and can drive to the store and not pay shipping. If you are in Colony Texas, that might be a good option for you.

I think a lot of the parts come from the same places. I have had good luck with LMC and their shipping is very fast for me. I have received parts as quick as 2 days with regular shipping.
truckster

Post by truckster »

Yeah, I actually have a couple friends that drive back and forth to OKC every week or every other week and pass right by Obsolete that could pick up whatever I need
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Well, I will jump in here concerning Obsolete! There IS a difference in parts. I ordered occasionally from them years ago; the parts I ordered were crap, but at least they were inexpensive crap! The telephone sales people seemed friendly and knowledgeable. One of my orders included OEM style outside mirrors and a floor mat. The mirrors and the mat were both inexpensive compared to other vendors. The mirrors corroded during the few months they sat after being installed on a garage kept incomplete project awaiting other parts. The mat was extremely thin and actually ripped while being installed. I considered both a learning lesson as to getting what you paid for!
I met Tom of Flashback shortly after that and discovered the vast difference in his mirrors compared to those from Obsolete.
Now, on to the incident(s) which moved them off my vendor list,even though they are on my oft-beaten path! A long-time member of this forum had offered to pick up a core support for another Houston member at Pate Swap Meet, since Obsolete had a presence there. I accompanied the gentleman to the Obsolete sales area, where he and I noticed the correct core support with a marked price around $20.00 cheaper than the catalog price. The part was wrote up at the catalog price; when we complained, the "salesperson" informed us that tag should have been removed from the support, and offered no recourse, in fact acting as if he were wronged by our questioning the price.
A check on line of reviews of Obsolete will reveal similar attitudes toward customer service. I always took a limited number of negative reviews somewhat lightly; the old "can't please everybody" and "two sides to every story" theories!
Just this week a member of another Ford forum posted that he had ordered a pair of rubber products, which while inexpensive, were plainly advertised in the Obsolete catalog as a "pair". When he received only one item, he called them, only to be told they were sold as individual items. So, while I MAY have experienced isolated problems, it certainly gives the appearance that the integrity of the salespeople, and quite possibly the owner, is somewhat weak. As they say, "buyer beware", and "your mileage may differ"!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
rw66f100
United States of America

Post by rw66f100 »

It would be interesting to know where all the parts come from. I have purchased parts from obsolete that came from Carolina classics and Dennis Carpenter. I mainly use them because they are close to home and yes sometimes customer service is not the best. Good at the store, not so good over the phone.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I prefer to support the guys who take care of their customers; people like Tom, Rick, even LMC when necessary. I will go out of my way to avoid ones who could care less. With Tom and Rick in particular; I don't need to know where the parts came from; I know they will be top quality!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

OK, here's what I can input.
Tom at Flashback is extremely knowledgeable on these trucks and even moreso on *who* sells the best parts. Besides his inventory of used parts, he distributes BRAND NEW parts from all of the major vendors, depending on who provides the best of each part.
My brother and I recently restored a 71 and went thru Tom for ALL of the goodies. each item was picked in this way. One may have better mirrors, another better bumpers etc etc. He has the experience to know who to deal with and takes that stress away from the customer.

And for those that have read this--------THIS IS NOT A PAID ENDORSEMENT !!!

im
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
White97

Post by White97 »

Tom at Flashback is my first stop. In hindsight I wish I would have rented a uHaul and drove down at the beginning of the project and bought everything in one stop. His patch panels are the best, he helped me on all the pieces I was missing for my PS conversion. Just a great resource selling the best of what is out there.

LMC is nice for small kits where they put everything in one part number. I've never had any problem with them, but again, mostly small kit stuff. Quality is on par with NPD and MACs

NPD seems pricy, ditto on MACs

Dennis Carpenter I will never use again. Bought a throttle cable from them, made in china, fell apart in my hands when I pulled it out of the package. Polished Stainless gas cap, not so, dull and cheap. Ordered a window felt channel from them, the minute I began to bend it to fit, it fell apart. Done with them and their outsourced chinese crap.

Right now all my shopping is at Summit as I focus on the 390 rebuild.

Did order a headliner from Stock Interiors, great, great product. Haven't put it in yet, but quality of what they sent is way better than the factory cardboard.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

I agree with LM14. I ordered door rubber from LMC and couldn't return them fast enough. I have had other problems with LMC and if you expect help from their customer service department, you will be sadly disappointed.

Julie