1965 conversion to 4X4

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

C.G.
United States of America

1965 conversion to 4X4

Post by C.G. »

I have a 1965 F100 long bed two wheel drive truck I am wanting to see if it can be converted to 4 wheel drive. Would it be a matter of adding a front axle, transfer case etc, to my existing frame? Or would I have to change out the entire frame. I am running a 352 engine with a new process 4 speed transmission. What transfer case would work and could I keep my existing transmission? Thanks for any help on this.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Re: 1965 conversion to 4X4

Post by longcabjohn »

I would find a 67 to 72 with the running gear and switch cab and bed. I am not 4 wheel expert, it will bolt on. I'm sure others with more knowledge
will also answer.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Most of these I see are put on the 73-79 frames. The pre 72 frames are best since the later frames are wider in the back and need new hole for the bed mounts. I would not try to adapt a 2wd frame. Too much to change. Coils/twin ibeam to leaf, steering, transfer case .....
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

Is the wheel base the same length on a 65 long bed versus a newer style 73-79 long bed?
Thanks for the help on this.

Corey,
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

the wheelbase is off by about 2-3 inches.. I have plans to move my rear end forward by popping the hangers loose and moving the rear holes to the front holes and drilling new front holes.. and of course you will need to have the drive shaft shortened... my 66 is sitting on a 76 F250 highboy.. Image
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Two wheel drive can't be switched to 4X4. Too much is different. Like others have said a newer 4X4 frame is needed.
Tom Williams
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It IS doable with '66 F100 4x4 components; however; it is MUCH easier to change to that '66 rolling chassis, or the '67 to '72 setup. It may also be less expensive also as opposed to buying and adapting the components.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

straight axle 2wd are much easier to convert but still a big pain
f350 straight axle trucks are easy because the frame is the same as the slick 4x4s just longer
best thing as suggested is a 4x4 frame
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

Thanks for all of the help and information. Does anyone know what transmission mates up to a 1961 4X4 that originally came with a 6 cylinder? I have the truck but no engine or transmission. I do have the transfer case. This is an F100. Thanks again.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

With the six it was most likely the truck 4spd with creeper low. T98? Being a 223, you have to get the large input shaft that was used in the y-blocks and sixes then.
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

I have a I think it is called a new process transmission out of a 1968 Ford F100 behind an FE engine. Would the trans and engine be a proper swap for this truck being it is a 4X4?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

C.G. wrote:Thanks for all of the help and information. Does anyone know what transmission mates up to a 1961 4X4 that originally came with a 6 cylinder? I have the truck but no engine or transmission. I do have the transfer case. This is an F100. Thanks again.
borg-warner t-98
same one comes behind the 292
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If I am understanding this, you have the 352/NP435 setup including transfer case. If that is correct, then the conversion is doable, just not an easy task. Independent firms specialized in such conversions sold and warrantied by Ford dealers back then, so it is certainly a viable option.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

I have a 1961 F100 complete truck minus the engine and transmission that is an original factory 4 wheel drive. The transfer case is intact as well as the chassis. I also have out of a 1968 2 wheel drive a 352/360 with a 4 speed manual transmission. I have found a bolt in adapter for the FE engine that can be purchased to fit a 1961 truck, and it looks like the transfer case is powered by a drive shaft from the transmission (not bolted to the side of the trans). Would it be a matter of installing the FE engine and NP transmission, then modifying the extremely short drive shaft to mate the trans and transfer case? I really appreciate all of the help on this.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Chris401 may be the person to respond to this, but here are my (random) thoughts. One could use the '65 352 4x4 mounting setup to retain front engine mounting, as well as supply correct bell-housing, although side engine mounting could also be cobbled in. The 4x4 435 transmission is different from the 2wd, so it would probably need to have, or be converted to,the short tailshaft. Again, using the "65 (or '66 F250) 4x4 bellhousing and front engine mounting system would probably be the most straight-forward route. Hooking the divorced transfer case up to your NP should be the easiest part. With correct location of engine and transmission; I see no un-surmountable problems, although some invariably pop up! There is little change between the earlier 4x4 frames and layout and the later 4x4 slicks other than engine type. You are probably already aware that all the pre-'64 cabs as well as the later 4x4 leaf sprung truck cabs are considerably different than those on the coil spring trucks. That means the '65/'66 (AND "66 f100 4X4) truck cabs are a real bear to adapt to the leaf-sprung frames. Most of us who have attempted to do that conversion probably would not try it again. Anyway, that is the gist of it IMO; easiest route would be the 352 4x4 mountings and bell housing setting as found on the original 4x4 with the 435 coupled to the original transfer case.
Hope I didn't miss anything which might complicate the change-over!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
C.G.
United States of America

Post by C.G. »

I really appreciate the information. The good news is I have more time than money so I can study on this for a while before making a decision on which way to go. Again thanks for all the help on this one. Now if I can only figure out how to post some pictures,,,
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

The trouble I had with posting pictures was trying to use photobucket from my phone directly. Add pics to photobucket, then use a PC to grab the link and paste it here in the forum. For some reason the links are not generated from the photobucket mobile site.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Toyz wrote:Chris401 may be the person to respond to this, but here are my (random) thoughts. One could use the '65 352 4x4 mounting setup to retain front engine mounting, as well as supply correct bell-housing, although side engine mounting could also be cobbled in. The 4x4 435 transmission is different from the 2wd, so it would probably need to have, or be converted to,the short tailshaft. Again, using the "65 (or '66 F250) 4x4 bellhousing and front engine mounting system would probably be the most straight-forward route. Hooking the divorced transfer case up to your NP should be the easiest part. With correct location of engine and transmission; I see no un-surmountable problems, although some invariably pop up! There is little change between the earlier 4x4 frames and layout and the later 4x4 slicks other than engine type. You are probably already aware that all the pre-'64 cabs as well as the later 4x4 leaf sprung truck cabs are considerably different than those on the coil spring trucks. That means the '65/'66 (AND "66 f100 4X4) truck cabs are a real bear to adapt to the leaf-sprung frames. Most of us who have attempted to do that conversion probably would not try it again. Anyway, that is the gist of it IMO; easiest route would be the 352 4x4 mountings and bell housing setting as found on the original 4x4 with the 435 coupled to the original transfer case.
Hope I didn't miss anything which might complicate the change-over!
Paul
that is what i see as well
also, the later trans needs its own crossmember to hold up the back end if the engine is side mounted

in all reality here the cheapest simplest way to go is find a good 292 and 4 speed and bolt them in

when i got my 4x4 frame it was without engine and trans as well, i used the 292 and trans from my 2 wheel drive 63 which i had bought because it had a leaf sprung front end and i considered it to be easy to convert to 4x4, but then i found the wrecked 4x4 and for a small fistfull of $ made things very simple on myself.

one thing i must mention is length of the engine blocks from the bell to the front mounting hole and that is the FE is an inch shorter than the y block so i moved the front mounting crossmember forward the inch, a simple task. the FE is also even shorter than that compared to the 223 so that would have to be dealt with

i will try to dig up some pics showing this stuff
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton