list of brake parts to do the disc swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

list of brake parts to do the disc swap

Post by Kid »

I am looking for a list of what I need to swap out my front drums for disc on my 65, I really dont want to buy a kit as I would rather buy the parts, Can I buy the brackets online or do I need to find them in a yard.
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: list of brake parts to do the disc swap

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

That covers it,,, very well detailed write up,, some parts might have gone up,, master cylinder price I see is rebuilt price,, you still can get new master cylinders yet,,
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Just removed the front suspension from my 78 F250 donor truck and plan to do the same Darrell. Wondering if I should bite the bullet and get new calipers and rotors and booster/MC. Anybody know the spec for front rotor thickness?

Since I'm doing the full front suspension swap in order to get a factory front anti-sway bar, I'm trying to decide if I should use Energy Suspension Poly bushings or rubber - I've heard the Poly bushings ride a little stiffer.
78 f250 parts2.jpg
78 f250 parts2.jpg (161.88 KiB) Viewed 674 times
1966 F250 LWB
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

MN66 wrote:Just removed the front suspension from my 78 F250 donor truck and plan to do the same Darrell. Wondering if I should bite the bullet and get new calipers and rotors and booster/MC. Anybody know the spec for front rotor thickness?

Since I'm doing the full front suspension swap in order to get a factory front anti-sway bar, I'm trying to decide if I should use Energy Suspension Poly bushings or rubber - I've heard the Poly bushings ride a little stiffer.
78 f250 parts2.jpg
I pulled my donor parts off a 75 ranger in the local wrecking yard. The rotors looked okay but one was too thin but decided to go with all new bearings, rotors, calipers, bushings etc. All were available from my local NAPA or rockauto.com. Ended up going with NAPA since shipping with rockauto is a bit spendy for the heavy stuff. Another plus is I get a great employer discount from NAPA (usually between 30-50% off retail).
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Basically a swap of the dentside stuff in place of the Slick stuff.
All bolts right up. As was said, go new on the rotors, calipers, and master cylinder.
Also new wheel bearings and seals. Also might want new brake hoses and the prop
valve for the disc brake setup. Rob got a Booster/MC with a prop valve attached.
Makes life easy. TR