k20 front clip

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

TheTurtleKing

k20 front clip

Post by TheTurtleKing »

I know a lot of you guys use crown vic and Dakota front clips on your f100s but I would really like to keep the 8 lug bolt pattern on my 63 f250. I have a 73 k20 rusting in my parents back yard and was wondering if I could rob the suspension off of it. Has anyone done this? thanks.
jeepbut
United States of America

Re: k20 front clip

Post by jeepbut »

K20 would be a four wheel drive. Are you converting to 4x4?
TheTurtleKing

Post by TheTurtleKing »

The one I have is 2wd
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Is the C20 disk front? (73 should be disk...)
Is the front suspension in good working order?

If it needs tie rods, ball joints, a new steering box, brake work, etc. I don't see the advantage...

It's your truck, most here wouldn't like the off brand front end. Only thing I see is your running in uncharted territory.(not a popular conversion)

The C20 front has a different size for hub centering. Keep that in mind when selecting wheels...
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

As Jeepbut stated, K20 designates 4wd, and on a '73, may well be full-time. If it is converted to 2wd, it would largely depend on the conversion. If it is in fact C20 components, next question is, coil spring or torsion bar? If 2wd, it is also likely to have a front mounted steering box, which may add further complications doing a clip.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
TheTurtleKing

Post by TheTurtleKing »

I guess, it's actually a c20 then. I believe it is coil spring and I don't know about the steering box. I'll call my dad this afternoon and have him check.
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

My boy Zak has a 63 uni with a late 70's c10 front clip grafted in... it gives him the ability to bag it and it slid inside the slick frame.. i dont know if the 20's will do the same though..
TheTurtleKing

Post by TheTurtleKing »

Anthony wrote:My boy Zak has a 63 uni with a late 70's c10 front clip grafted in... it gives him the ability to bag it and it slid inside the slick frame.. i dont know if the 20's will do the same though..
Interesting , is there any way you could put me in contact with Zak or post a link to a build thread? I'd like to pick his brain.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Just make certain that the frame rails are solid where the steering box mounts, and that you run a sturdy front bumper/ additional crossmember to tie the frame rails together.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
TheTurtleKing

Post by TheTurtleKing »

For anyone else looking to do this conversion, my 73 c20 frame is 4" narrower than my 63 f250 frame so I'm my case it isn't going to work.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

If it's 4" narrower, then you are looking at the frame sliding inside the F250 frame like Anthony talked about on Zak's truck. 2" on each side would be about the width of the F250 frame. No idea how you would come out height-wise.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!