Looking for some guidance on a worn out 302...

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Looking for some guidance on a worn out 302...

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

As the title says I have an old 302 I'm looking for some guidance with. It's got about 124k miles on it. It ticks and the oil pressure is shot. 8-10 psi going down the highway :shock: If I get up to highway speed and let off the gas the oil pressure will momentarily jump up a couple psi. I've read that this can indicate worn bearings?
From perusing around the interwebs reading it sounds to me like the engine needs to be rebuilt.

I recently replaced the head gasket on it, and the pistons were not stock. So I know it's had work done in it, I just don't know what.

The head gasket change was the first time I've ever done any work "inside" an engine, so I'm totally green when it comes to whatever magic goes on in there. I'd like to take this as a learning opportunity and attempt to rebuild the engine myself, but I'm not sure if I'd be jumping in to more than I could handle, especially since I don't know what has previously been done.

If anyone has any suggestions on to any literature I could use to try and tackle this myself I'm all ears. Or if it sounds like I should just take it to the professionals and rest easy any time I drive it :lol:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
bird55
United States of America

Re: Looking for some guidance on a worn out 302...

Post by bird55 »

THere's nothing wrong with taking the time to learn how to build an engine. Lots of good books on that particular one as well. However anymore there is not really a way to get one done cheaply. Machine work is the primary thing you will have to pay normal rate for. Parts, well you just have to shop around but again there's tons of 302 stuff.
Another angle for you to consider is a used salvage 302 or 5.0 motor from craiglist or your local area that you can see and hear run. Sometimes not a bad way to go for the money.

The thing about building an engine is there shouldn't be any shortcuts-Rebuild once and do it right. Which pretty much means all new stuff. $$$$
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I bought a 78 f150 with a 302 that had blow by out the breather for 800, put valve seals in it and no more smoke , used some parts and sold the rest , ended up making a couple of bucks and got a motor , power steering setup and disc brakes. you have to keep your eyes open the good deals don't come very often and are gone quick. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

There is a great book by Tom Monroe that should answer all your questions. The title is "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Ford" and it is published by HP Books.

It covers everything from how to determine if your engine needs work, to new engine start up and everything in between.

Plenty of pictures and "how to's".

I don't know if it is still in print, I have had mine for close to 40 years, but I'm sure it can be found on the net.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Roger Carter
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Roger Carter wrote: I don't know if it is still in print, I have had mine for close to 40 years, but I'm sure it can be found on the net.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Thanks Roger! I found the book on Amazon and it's en route to my house :mrgreen:

I'm keeping my eyes on Craigslist. I'm either going to pull my engine and rebuild it, or find a lower mileage 302 to go through and drop in. It seems like there's always a ton of old Ford stuff on Craigslist right up until I actually need it and am looking :lol:

Thanks for the help guys.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

From your oil pressure issues, you probably have too much clearance on the mains and connecting rods. They get oiled first and when they take too much oil, your valve systems gets starved for oil. Rebuilding an engine yourself is really just assembling unless you have a machine shop in your garage. It is not that complicated. The end result will be more based on the machining than anything else. I've always used a shop that will bore the cylinders, align bore the crank journals, re-size the connecting rods, size the piston ring and assembling the piston/rings/connecting rods for me. Then I do the final assembly. Saves me some $s and gives me the sense that I was part of the process. The heads get inspected and hardened valve seats if necessary. Keep things clean and use a lot of assembly lube as you go.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Roger - I got the book and have read through it a couple times. It's pretty good and not as dry/vague as some auto books. I've enjoyed just reading it. Also I don't think it's ever been updated in the last 40 years :lol: thanks again for suggesting it.

bruceandersson wrote:From your oil pressure issues, you probably have too much clearance on the mains and connecting rods. They get oiled first and when they take too much oil, your valve systems gets starved for oil. Rebuilding an engine yourself is really just assembling unless you have a machine shop in your garage. It is not that complicated. The end result will be more based on the machining than anything else. I've always used a shop that will bore the cylinders, align bore the crank journals, re-size the connecting rods, size the piston ring and assembling the piston/rings/connecting rods for me. Then I do the final assembly. Saves me some $s and gives me the sense that I was part of the process. The heads get inspected and hardened valve seats if necessary. Keep things clean and use a lot of assembly lube as you go.
Spot on, the mains are shot. I picked up an extra 302 for cheap and I'm going to attempt pretty much what you described. There's alot to do, but it's not as complex as I thought it would be.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Well I got my engine in my garage and feel comfortable on starting to tear down. My main plan was just to restore to stock, but I of course went down the google rabbit hole and started looking at other things I could do. I was thinking of maybe putting a mild cam in it with lifters when I rebuild it with hopes of maybe squeezin' a few more MPG's out of it.

The engine is a 72 block. I was considering...
- COMP cams 252 cam in it with COMP cams lifters
- Using the heads from my 82 block since they have the screw in rocker studs and not the press in type from earlier heads
- "Straight up" timing gear set
- Everything else stock

If any 302 gurus wanna impart their wisdom on an engine newbie and tell me if what I'm thinking would work, or if it's not even worth the extra effort I would be very grateful praying.gif
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

The Windsor family of engines is a good choice with parts availability
virtually everywhere. I am currently working on a 73 351W engine that
was installed in my 57 F100 when I bought it as a basket case.
Swapping cams to a 268H Comp grind along with an Edelbrock Performer
Dual plane intake and some tri Y headers like the early Mustangs used.
As far as the 302s and 5.0 engines go, I want to get my hands on a good
5.0 roller engine from the 90s with an AOD tranny and the Fuel Injection
setup like on my 99 Explorer. These little buggers will scat with the GT 40 heads
already on them. Good luck on your engine build. TR
cooter

Post by cooter »

if you follow the book carefully you should be fine, attention to detail is the key. One option you may consider is having the engine shop assemble the short block, its fairly cheap and the hardest part. Camshaft break in is very important so a very good cam lube and break in oil are a must.
why put off till tommorow what you can put off alltogether