How about a Slick 60 adventure thread ?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

foodstick

How about a Slick 60 adventure thread ?

Post by foodstick »

Here is a true story..
Dad bought an old 40 foot mobile home for our campsite on Lake Red Rock. Dad put some gravel in the box, got it hitched to the pickup and made the 60 mile run to Red Rock under the cover of darkness ;) I have been told by friends that drove chase vehicles down with him that at times you could see light from oncoming vehicles under the front wheels of the truck !

My Dad wasn't the type to take unreasonable risks.. But I think he had a HIGH risk tolerance when it came to saving money !
bruceandersson

Re: How about a Slick 60 adventure thread ?

Post by bruceandersson »

Not a slick story, but yours reminded me. I had an old 71 Toyota. Terribly underpowered 4 banger, but it did the job. I got siding for my house once. I placed the 12' boxes on 10' 2x4s and had them sticking out the back off the tailgate by over 5'. The bed had built in hook to tie the front down so they would not fall out. One the way home, every time I hit a small bump the front wheels would slowly lift off the ground. I'd gently apply the brakes to return them to earth and enjoy the expressions of people in the cars around me. The siding boxes got a little scuffed from scraping when doing a wheelie, but made it home.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

This could be a very entertaining thread. Looking forward to seeing the stories.

Not a slick but an old pickup and fond memory of my dad.

My dad hit upon the idea to make a bit of extra money before Christmas. We would be cleaning up the back lot of a friends place. There was a bunch of scrap metal on the place. We put the sideboards on his $100 1952 chevy 1/2 ton pickup and off we went. A long hard day of cleaning and loading resulted in the truck bed stacked above the sideboards and sunk past the overloads. We drove about 15 miles to the salvage yard. When it was offloaded, we had well over a ton of scrap and a bit of coin in our pocket. Good times with my old man. :D
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

I've posted about it briefly before, but I once loaded this:

Onto one of these:

With this:

The truck had no brakes, didn't run, and had a right rear tire that held air for all of 3 seconds. But damned if it didn't just obediently drop into the wheel chocks of the trailer once it was up there.
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Already documented my recent adventures going to get a Merc styleside Box & end gate here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34899
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Picked up my 66 F250 with a beat to hell car dolly and a 74 f100 4x4. It my first time towing anything. The 66 just barely fit on the dolly. 390 had plenty of grunt to pull it, the braking was a different story. Almost lost both trucks to a pond at the bottom of a hill that had a stop sign in front of it :shock:

Needless to say I learned a lot about towing that day lol.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

February 2002
Alaska
found a 65 f350, needed a slick to drive because my 4x4 was apart
called up the owner and found out it needed a thermostat , not a big deal, i had some and changing a Fe thermo is pretty simple
i grabbed the needed tools and supplies and my wife and i take off on the 75 mile journey to the far side of Palmer,Ak along the Matanuska river where the wind comes thru the mountains like cold sharp knifes
we get there check out the truck, find there is something the owner forgot or neglected to tell me
there is no drivers window :shock:
still it was a long ride and we were there and the truck was otherwise acceptable for the $500 price
so we paid the man and got the title and he left to go back to work, i assured him we would be fine and on our way shprtly
now the wind was just howling like mad and though dressed properly for the condition we still had to put in the thermostat
by the time i was done my fingers were stiff and very cold
got the truck fired up and the heat going
i had brought some vis queen in case i had to lay under the truck so i coverd the door, closed it got in the passenger side and off we went
just around the first curve in the road, the wind got really more severe and off went the plastic, never to be seen again
so about 70 miles to go in Alaska in the winter with no drivers window
the heat worked but escaped out the window as fast as it came out the vents and i had to use the defrost to kep the windshield clear
i drove as fast as possible considering the 4.88 rear end and the road conditions of winter
truck ran great, no issues other than that missing window

by the time we got home i looked and felt like an Iceman
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I will never forget the year My Dad and I and another adult and his son took a fishing trip to northern Minnesota . We drove the 66 pulling our boat. Drove all the way there and back in the box under the topper.. back topper gate up watching the world slide by. Bad fishing, rainy weather, blown tire on the boat trailer.. and being told by a local you can't ride back there in Minnesota...

Still a great memory no matter how many times I think of it.. or tell the story.
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Probably to most of you ....I'm kinda redneck
Lot of 'adventures' in vehicles...
Driving a car through a large town with zero brakes...
Driving vehicles with no clutch....
Driving dirt country roads in the dark without lights...

I guess the one time my adrenalin really pumped was when a worn
Out 58 chevy grain truck died on the scales....
Cranked good... No start
Big line behind me... Horns honking
I had my son crank it & I checked for spark.... NONE !
I pulled the dizzy cap... Crank again... They weren't opening !
Just needed adjusting... NO TOOLS...
A trucker walked up & I noticed he had a pair of pliers
He let me borrow them...
I just took them and BENT the points arm open
Crank again... Yep ... Look good
Put on cap....
STARTED RIGHT UP ! .... YAY !
I think they stayed that way the rest of harvest.....
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Not a Slick, but close...

Years ago I had a '68 F-250 4x4 with a later model open knuckle disc brake front end under it. We were doing some dirt moving work and planned to use a buddy's large rubber tired Ford tractor with a bucket and back hoe attached. The tractor and triple axle implement trailer it was on was about 20 miles away. Oh, and according to my bud, the tractor and the trailer went over the scales at just a bit over 20,000 pounds. Don't know how accurate the number was, but it makes for a good story.

No problem, I thought...Had a strong 429 in the truck, 4.10 gears and a granny low 4 speed. My truck can pull anything. Should have given thought to what it could stop, though.

We got to the trailer / tractor and dropped the hitch on the 2" ball I had on my step bumper. Hey, the bumper was bolted to the frame. That makes it a frame mounted hitch, doesn't it? The trucked dropped 3-4" from the tongue weight and we thought all was good. The trailer didn't have brakes, but we weren't worried (remember, disc brakes on the '68).

Made it to the property ok, though I did realize the truck was working harder than it ever had. Must have had a decent load. I found roads I had always thought were level, weren't. The truck wouldn't hold a constant speed in 4th, kept having to downshift, upshift,...

Got the work done, loaded everything up and headed out to return the tractor and trailer. Remember the roads that weren't flat and level...and the lack of brakes on the trailer... Still no problem, I thought, at first. 4.10s, granny low and disc brakes will handle anything.

The first three miles from the property was all downhill, gradual at first but the last 1.5-2 miles a 7-8% downgrade, ending at a stop sign at a "T" intersection. With about a mile to go I was in granny, lightly working the brakes, then working the brakes hard, unable to slow down, then standing on the brakes picking up speed. By the time we got to the stop sign I had both feet on the brakes, a$$ off the seat, and bending the steering wheel.

6-7 miles per hour may not seem fast, but with 10 tons behind you, a corner coming up and no way to stop or slow down, it is faster than I want to go.

Fortunately there was no traffic and the road past the stop sign was level. Good thing, cause we were coming through. We made the corner without incident, and slowly came to a stop 100 yards down the road. We got out to inspect the brakes and found those disc brakes to be glowing red and the rear drums smoking heavily. After letting things cool a bit we continued on and got the tractor and trailer back without (further) incident.

Ahh, to be young and foolish again... well at least young.
Roger Carter
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Always time for more... The last one reminded me of picking up a bobcat a couple of weekends ago in my f100 camper special. It think it's special because it really can't haul much and can stop even less. It was good the rental place was only a couple of miles away. I don't think I ever went over 20 mph because I was afraid the brakes would not be much use. No problems just the wrong tool for the job.

Another was when I picked up a 66 from the Grand Canyon and drove it back to flagstaff. Stalled every time I had to slow down, steering was terrible I replaced the rag joint later when I checked it. One tire blew due to dry rot.... But still a great $300 investment.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

My first '61 uni.

I was scheduled to get my heart re-set on a Tuesday (my first A-Fib episode). Was on the computer in the middle of the night on Sunday and bid on a '61 uni on EPay. Got it for $202.50. Called the guy first thing Monday and explained it was either pick it up today or no idea when I could because of the heart deal. At 2:00 that afternoon we loaded it on the trailer and headed home. Got my heart shocked Tuesday, spent a day in bed and worked on it Thursday cleaning it out. Spent the next few month scheming on what to do, shopping for sheetmetal, etc.

But.....

(copied from an old post)
Getting ready to start on my '61 uni build. Looking at parts needed, rust repair, etc. Decided there had to be better pieces to start with for what I have in mind. So we went crazy last weekend.

Took off after work and headed south, 12 hours to the south, pulling an empty trailer. Living in SE Iowa ment we were in Missouri in about an hour. Drove on south thru Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee and into Mississippi to look at a "rust free" '61. You can sleep when you are dead, right?! Drove straight thru the night and got there to look at it around 8:00AM. Not pretty. Had the same rust I have, and more! A few pieces were better but overall it wasn't any better for a starting spot than what I had.

Dianne was a little dissapointed that is was so bad and the trip was wasted. I never leave things to chance. Pulled out my list of trucks I had been checking on and had 5 others to looks at. Callled the next choice on the list and headed towards the Dallas, Texas area!

8.5 hours later, we were in Whiteright, Texas standing in a little orchard looking at a '62 short bed. 99% rust free. Nothing major to fix since I don't care about the drivetrain. Great body! Little rust spot on the back edge of the roof, badly dented driver's door, a few small holes at the box floor/back of cab joint (nothing bigger than a penny) and a very small spot by the clutch pedal where your heel sits. Best looking steps/risers I've ever seen, workable tailgate, rust free fenders, floors, etc. 100% better than my '61. Struck the deal and loaded it up. Headed north towards home. Silly Dianne thought we were done and headed home! Ha! Got into Oklahoma and decided to catch a few hours sleep.

Early Sunday we headed towards the Joplin, Missouri area. Called a Craigs List ad for a pair of "perfect, rust free, you'll find none nicer" doors for $100 in Springfield, Missouri. The guy still had them but was out of town. Struck out. As we got to the edge of Springfield he called me back and had a friend that met us. The doors are just as described. Loaded them and headed on home.

1926 miles, $550 in gas, unloaded a nice unibody at the race shop for the night and headed home.

That's my Slick Adventures, so far.....

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!