electric guru knowledge needed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

unibody madness
United States of America

electric guru knowledge needed

Post by unibody madness »

Putting together the Turk as you may know.
Hooked up the battery today and began checking old, and remembering new connections.

Cigarette lighter has power to the back post but not to inner portion of socket. The socket has what appears to be some kind of screw on resistor on the back?. The new ones do not, it appears to be built in. The new one does not have the slots for the light clip, and the two do not interchange.
After unscrewing the Resistor(?),I took it apart and nothing appears to be missing, electricity just will not travel to it, so could it be a fuse? Can it be bypassed?
Ran when Parked seems to have gotten it
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Toyz
United States of America

Re: electric guru knowledge needed

Post by Toyz »

That sulfur disc is the overload protection on light duty trucks. It may be somewhat hard to find these days. If unable to locate a good one, and you can live without the illumination, just put an inline 14 amp fuse in the hot wire and use the newer lighter. Probably could use something like a small worm gear clamp to hold the lamp in place if you want it to remain. The usual caveat applies; be certain of a good ground.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Paul thanks, once again you pointed me in the right direction.
I removed the disc, loosened the nut under the sulfur disc. I found an insulated eyelet that would fit and not ground out, crimped it to a blade fuse holder I had bought for just these kinds of issues. I also bought some 15 amp circuit breakers that just happen to fit, plugged it into the lighter wire and it works great without losing the receptacle with the dash light.
You guys are awesome!!!!!!

You guys keep bailing me out and I will be a certified expert!
Turk build thread at:

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I learned something on that one! I hadn't thought of removing the disc and using a spacer/insulator. That one might be worthy of the "hints and tricks".
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
unibody madness
United States of America

Paul, The dash went together yesterday but I have a spare original that needs repair.
When I have the time I will build another,document it and post it. Think of all the cigar lighters that get replaced because nobody knows it a simple fuse, there is such an easy fix,and the new Chinese repos are junk.
Again thanks for your help
Turk build thread at:

Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

As far as the slots for the light socket go...

I have used a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool to cut them in a new lighter socket. A little patience and not too much time and you are as good as new.
Roger Carter