cab drains

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ras4434
United States of America

cab drains

Post by ras4434 »

A long time back (sometime over the past several years) someone posted a list of drains on the cab. I saved it on my hard drive at the time and lost it a while back. I didn't need it until my foot got wet the other day in a rainstorm. I think the drain hole ion the wiper shaft was plugged. It got me thinking I need to clean all of the drains out but cant find the post....anyone know what I am talking about?
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Re: cab drains

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

several places, cab corners take the factory sealer out and open the drain holes in cab corners,, center cab braces drill a small hole at end and you would be surprised on how much dirt would fall out, rain gutter drill few holes so water does not stay trapped up there,, where the wiper pivots are use a good gasket and I would put a little clear silicone to seal them better, I have seen a lot of wet floors coming from the windshield leaking, door seals.
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Look in "Hints and Tricks" page 5, "Rust prevention -- cleaning out drains" someone has posted about all of the places to keep cleaned out to prevent rust and rust out.
1964 F-100
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

You will be shocked at how much junk comes out of those drains/cleanouts. It took me repeated blasts from the compressor (be sure to use eye protection) to get them cleaned out. Ended up with about 2 cups of dust, debris and rocks. I considered it time well spent, though.

julie
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

good idea. You can see inside this front passenger side front cab support bracket. It is full of 50+ years of Oregon dirt, sand, Mt. St Helens ASH (May 18, 1980) and flakes of rust from the water being trapped inside and killing the metal. Drains will be going in the set that I replace.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

regular cleaning of the drains is definitely needed
dont forget the ones in the bottom of the doors

on the back of passenger side air vent i used a piece of screen to keep junk from getting into the heater box (deluxe heater) as there was a bunch of leaves and dirt in there too
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

ICEMAN6166 wrote: ...on the back of passenger side air vent i used a piece of screen to keep junk from getting into the heater box (deluxe heater)........

Hi Brian,

Might you happen to have any pics you would be willing to share to show how/where you put the screen? :dontknow:

BarnieTrk
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Barnie
no pics but i have the oval vent on my truck, all i did was cut a piece of aluminum door screen and drilled 4 holes on the inside flange big enough for a small pull tie to fit thru the vent and screen. cant see any of it unless the vent door is open and you crane your neck to look inside.

later model cars and trucks have screens under the cowl openings to keep stuff from getting in , no way to do that so the vent screen was my best option.

if anything should stick up against the screen its easy to stick an airhose in and blow it out.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I know what you are talking about Ice- I am going to do the same. Actually I want to put a screen through the entire length of the vent on the outside dash. Either that or I am going to fabricate some sort of scoop to cover over it and allow air access from the rear of it. It doesn't appear to have any rust through from all the debris but it was a pain to clean out. I am going to add floor holes to put rubber cab plugs so I can clean the cab supports from the inside. I will put pictures up as I do mine.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:Barnie
no pics but i have the oval vent on my truck, all i did was cut a piece of aluminum door screen and drilled 4 holes on the inside flange big enough for a small pull tie to fit thru the vent and screen. cant see any of it unless the vent door is open and you crane your neck to look inside.

later model cars and trucks have screens under the cowl openings to keep stuff from getting in , no way to do that so the vent screen was my best option.

if anything should stick up against the screen its easy to stick an airhose in and blow it out.
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply & explanation. Sorry I'm so late in getting back to you. :sleepy2:

BarnieTrk
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Here's the link to the post Steve mentioned.......

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6202

James
=========================================================
SteveCanup wrote:Look in "Hints and Tricks" page 5, "Rust prevention -- cleaning out drains" someone has posted about all of the places to keep cleaned out to prevent rust and rust out.